This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited by Oishiki Ganguly 

I’m sure I’m not the only one guilty of turning to Netflix after a long day of classes. Exhausted, it is easy to ignore the nagging thought weighing at the back of my mind, urging me to pick up a book instead. After pouring over countless academic essays and novels, reading  for fun often slips to the bottom of  my to-do list. Still, there are times when there is nothing I want more than to revitalise this habit. This is easier said than done because after such a long break from recreational reading, I need an absolutely enthralling book to tempt me. Since I’m sure many of you might relate to this, here are some books that might help get you out of your reading slump. 

1. The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

Very different from the usual murder mysteries, Richard Osman presents his own refreshing take on the genre. The Thursday Murder Club is a light read with a captivating story that  follows four friends in a retirement home who meet every Thursday to investigate unsolved murder cases. The elderly amateur sleuths are the most unlikely of acquaintances, and yet, their common interest cements their friendship. With witty writing and charming characters, this exceptionally clever mystery is guaranteed to pull you back into the world of literature. 

1. The Shadow of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

The sheer literary genius of this book is all the convincing you need to pick it up. Carlos Ruiz Zafón transports the reader to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a labyrinth in a private library in Barcelona, where Daniel Sempere, the son of a librarian, stumbles upon a book titled The Shadow of the Wind. The novel, written by an obscure author named  Julian Carax opens up an entire universe for Daniel. What starts as an innocent quest opens the door to one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets. Zafón’s book is a gripping story about innocence, murder, love and tragedy, all perfectly encapsulated in its pages. 

1. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

The Book Thief is a work of historical fiction that literally and metaphorically emphasises the power of words. Marcus Zusak’s decision to make Death the narrator of the story only adds to the charm of the novel, despite the ominous tone. Set in Germany during World War II, the book introduces a young girl, Liesl, whom we accompany on her journey of discovering the world of literature. The novel follows the endearing characters’ shared love for books and the comfort that they provide in the darkest of times. Zusak beautifully captures the pervading fear of the war and intertwines it with themes of love and friendship that make us fall in love with both the characters and books. 

1. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor J Reid

The book revolves around the life of the fictional yesteryear Hollywood star Evelyn Hugo who, at the age of 79, narrates the story of her life to her biographer. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo deals with sexuality, misogyny, abuse and glamour in the film industry but these sensitive, serious topics do not compromise on a lucid and light writing style. Taylor Jenkins Reid’s raw, multi-dimensional characters and her story provides a glimpse into the world of fame and the price that comes with it. 

1. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott 

A classic I’m sure many have already read, its simplicity and lucidity make for an incredibly refreshing and easy read. Louisa May Alcott’s setting is perfectly described, and the differences in the personalities and ambitions of her characters are evident right from the start. Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy are four siblings who live with their mother, Mrs. March. They struggle to make ends meet while their father is fighting in the war. In this coming-of-age novel, we follow the siblings’ everyday life and how they learn to make the best of their situations while exploring their passions, hearts and hardships. 

Apart from the aforementioned novels, what often works when getting out of a reading slump is re-reading an old personal favourite. Nostalgia serves as an outstanding motivator to pick up a book and get back into the reading habit. Nevertheless, I hope at least one of these sounds appealing enough for you to turn your reading slump into a reading jump.

I'm Aahana, a prospective Psychology major at Ashoka University
Mehak Vohra

Ashoka '21

professional procrastinator.