Book Review: ‘Dark Circles’ by Udayan Mukherjee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Dark Circles is Udayan Mukherjee’s debut novel. At its core, it is the story of a family, through the lens of which Mukherjee deals with complex themes like betrayal, depression, coping with the loss of a loved one, acceptance and forgiveness.

The author alters between perspectives of the two brothers, Ronojoy and Sujoy, but calling either of them protagonists would be an injustice to the complexity of the narrative. The story isn’t just theirs—how they cope with their mother’s death and the secret she reveals to them through a letter, but also of their father, Subir, who took his own life- a childhood memory that still haunts the two brothers. It is as much the story of their mother, Mala, who succumbs to cancer in the Ashram she had retreated to, soon after her husband’s death. Entwined with these stories are those of their family friend, Ronen Da, their mother’s final confidante and the bearer of the letter; and of Apu Kaka, their uncle, settled in the States, who returns to India to talk about why he left in the first place; along with the story of their aging Dida (grandmother), whose unconditional love is what has kept them going even in adulthood.

The book is a short read but it isn’t rushed, the lack of a linear timeline, along with the altering perspectives of the characters, contributes to a narrative that is, in essence, about the interconnectedness of family—how the consequences of one’s actions leave an indelible mark on others, even after they have departed—and the magnanimity of the human heart to want to forgive.

The author truly captures the humanity in each of his characters. He makes you empathize with them, see them as victims of circumstance and feel sorry for them, yet at the same time question their every action and the role their own agency (or the lack thereof) has played in their tumultuous lives. Whether it is Ronojoy’s clinical depression, or Sujoy’s erratic behavior, it can be traced back to their father’s suicide when they were just children. The contents of their mother’s letter only serve to fester old wounds which were never completely healed.

Mukherjee has captured the myriad of emotions and complexities of human behavior. He manages to give a real sense of humanity to each character, and this really resonates with the reader.  No character is put on a pedestal as a moral figure to which others can be weighed and made to fall short.

As for the title of the book, maybe it is the dark circles that come with the loss of sleep that everyone in the story goes through, as they reflect on the past or chart the future course of action. Or maybe it is the darkness in the life of each member of the family circle. The author leaves it up to the reader to reflect on it rather than decide. The ending may seem abrupt, but perhaps it is so because Mukherjee doesn’t seem keen to tie up all the loose ends and give the reader an absolute closure- something one rarely attains in life.

Dark Circles is a stellar debut! The minimalistic prose makes it an easy read, the simplistic writing makes the story accessible, and beautifully explores the gray areas which we often refuse to acknowledge exist.

Edited by Arpita Wadhwa

.
Hello! I am Aanchal, a second-year psychology major at Ashoka University. I love to travel around places with a small backpack on my shoulders and create new connections whenever possible. Anime is my guilty pleasure. Expressing my feelings through writing calms me down and keeps me at peace.