This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited By: Lavanya Goswami

A dusty, smudgy morning, as it usually is. 

A moment of absolute panic comes over me as a large earthquake is felt. However, this is just the usual. The initial jerk which startles me only pauses to be resumed at every 5-minute interval. Even the phone is annoyed. This nightmare-ish everyday situation is only terminated by a large hand, banging at the very ground I sit on, slamming at my body and grabbing me carelessly. Light bombards into the world through the new but tried-and-tested phone. Mindless scrolling is on the schedule today. Instagram is littered with pretty, pretty girls, aesthetically tropical vacations, and the occasional edgy meme — the usual. 

Time has finally caught on for the human and we’re heading for the bathroom stalls now. Another tragedy is befalling me, I can just predict it. With a few rummaging motions through the toiletries, and the daily greetings of the shower droplets , it is time to get out. Albeit with a few moments of panic. I guess humans have become accustomed to me. It’s a warm feeling — a short lived one, though.

I met the human again, in the midst of a crossway with a nemesis. It’s time to leave but a deliberation must be made. I sit there next to a small case for lenses, pretentious with its color coordinated eye compartments, feeling a sense of deeply — ingrained competition. Both of us do the same fundamental task, yet there is animosity between us. I amduller, cover her face, hide her eyes; lenses are cooler. Which one will it be?

I am back to work, no dormant hours for me today! I dare say, I have some positive attributes too. Long academic workdays and comfort are my expertise. I was the definitive choice, even if it’s just for the day.

However, a day out is by no means an easy task to submit myself to. The environment is harsh, whether that be natural, artificial or the people that inhabit it. 

There is a constant struggle against opacity as the habitual temperature surrounding me changes. Any movement outside of a room or a building immediately startles me. The human, on the other hand, seems to have almost become accustomed to this obstruction of vision. There are no longer any moments of disorientation, but merely a sigh of inconvenience followed by a resigned walk in the general direction of the desired destination. It is assumed that fogginess will subside with due acclimatization, but a quick swipe with a cloth won’t hurt. To be fair, if vision obscured constantly by smudges and dirt are not a deterrent, a few instances of smog should not be too much of a problem. The masks, however, make this a much more frequent occurrence (especially since my human does not move around too much). Breathing cannot be stopped, and its constant nature underneath a mask only adds to the mist accumulation. This mist is different though. It has no defining beginning or end, it comes and goes at its convenience. There is no real rhyme or reason to its existence.

The people in the said environment are also quite interested in vision assisting objects. Eyesight is tested by random passersby, as well as friends and family by the motion of waving fingers in front with the intent of asking how many are visible. It is a futile exercise, but this does not stop any of these people. Another common examination is enquiring of the power of human vision devices. This will immediately be followed by a rollercoaster ride as I am swiped from one face onto another. A few quick glances do usually suffice though. This sequence of events is also followed by asking about how I add to their appearance. Some humans do request permission for this salient behaviour though.

Another concern, above all else, on a day out is the dreaded unexpected injury, handicap, sometimes, even death. The outside world can be full of horrors. They come in many different forms; basketballs, volleyballs, sudden jerks in buses, the weight of a person on top of me, and the list can keep going on. The outside world was scary. However, its a worthy endeavor to explore. A world of colour, adventure and constant excitement

Simran Wadan

Ashoka '24

Simran Kaur Wadan is a first year at Ashoka University. In her free time, she picks a hobby to adopt and maybe sleeps.