A Beginner’s Guide to the Current Stand-up Comedy Scene in India

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

Edited by: Sahana Inuganti

My ✨research✨ included re-watching stand-up comedy clips to really get in the zone for writing this article…during mid-sem week. Nevertheless, I managed to convince my mum that stand-up comedy in India is NOT just a bunch of happy-wife-happy-life, maasi-type jokes with ‘toingggg’ sound effects. It took 5 minutes of a Kanan Gill video and 55 minutes of, “Mummy dekh lo na yaar, please.” If I can convince mum, aap kya cheez ho?

So, I’ve compiled a list of a few mainstream and underrated personal favourites, and categorized them under titles as cringey as your friendly neighbourhood aunty on Tambola night. In no particular order. Because you’ll judge me.

1. Compulsory section: Vir Das and Biswa Kalyan Rath

I don’t make the rules, but you can’t say you’re a true stand-up fan if you haven’t watched Vir Das and Biswa Kalyan Rath’s work.

Vir Das has four Netflix specials. FOUR. I’d 10/10 (hehe) recommend ‘Vir Das: For India(Netflix). Sitting with a cup and a Parle-G dabba, he talks about India’s history and Indian-people shenanigans. From the 26/11 attack to the composition of chyawanprash, he addresses a few dark topics with light-hearted humour. He’s witty, eloquent, charismatic, hilarious. The only thing imperfect about the dude is Mastizaade. 

Biswa’s jokes in ‘Sushi’ (Amazon Prime Video) are a bunch of common observations hysterically interpreted and delivered with bang-on comic timing. No props; no monotony. It’ll convince you that if dust = dead skin, you’re paying your Bai to sweep you out of your own house. Also, who hasn’t seen Pretentious Movie Reviews?

1. The K-complex: Kanan Gill, Kenny Sebastian, Karunesh Talwar

I felt like I was somewhere between Rakesh Roshan and a Psych major when I thought of this title.

If you’re looking for an existential, philosophical comedy vibe, I’d suggest watching ‘Yours Sincerely(Netflix) by Kanan Gill. It’s about a letter he wrote to his 15-year-old depressed self, but it covers topics ranging from the general solution for the number of teetars to Kanan’s music band—Rubber Band. Kanan’s a wacky comic, and you’ll enjoy the numerous call-backs he uses to piece his super well-written jokes together. 

Kenny Sebastian is known for his ‘alt comedy’, where he uses a bunch of unconventional performance tactics—from playing the harmonium to painting on stage—to baffle you. He has this child-like excitement and energy whenever he performs. He’s got great specials, but I’d personally recommend ‘Sketchy Behaviour(Amazon Prime Video) with Kanan Gill, and this particular Chai-Time video that always cracks me up.

If you’re looking for something cynical, witty and light-hearted, I’d recommend Stuff About Bollywood’ and ‘Masterchef’ by Karunesh Talwar. I know I’ll sound like an Anupama Chopra when I say this, but the man’s got punchlines that’ll make you GUFFAW and a sort of sophisticated mastery over his speech that makes every joke land. Bas, sorry.

1. The Storytellers: Zakir Khan and Anubhav Singh Bassi 

These two are known for their anecdotal comedy, which is basically a way of performing comedy through storytelling/ narration. Super casual; super conversation-like. If I don’t recommend the iconic ‘Cheating’ stand-up clip by Bassi, and ‘When I met a Delhi Girl’ by Zakir, this list is worth nothing more than a, “Hmm. Accha. Theek hai.” 

1. The A-team: Aditi Mittal, Azeem Banatwalla, Aakash Gupta, Abhishek Upmanyu

Aditi Mittal has an unabashed, unapologetic sense of humour. Her recent video on ‘Chipkalis’ is an absolute banger. I’d also like to flex that I met her on my birthday this year. We had a full 2-minute conversation on what cake I had and what plans I have afterwards. 

Azeem Banatwalla is underrated, but an absolute favourite. He does partly topical, partly observational and partly dark-humour jokes; his video on ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan vs Indian Legal System’ will leave you absolutely mind-f*cked. Chuck this article, go watch this clip now.

‘Dogs’ by Aakash Gupta is freaking premium content. His sets are tighter than Sarojini Nagar se liye huye nikkar. He’s an expressive, caricature-ish comic who performs with his entire body, goddamnit. You won’t find a silent moment in his set and you’ll wheeze from laughing so much. 

Lastly, if you’re looking for jokes on friends, Crime Patrol or the cosmos, watch this video by Abhishek Upmanyu :)

1. The Comedy Troops: AIB, EIC, TWTW

You might’ve heard of groups like East India Comedy and All India Bakchod (and the roast that got AIB more FIRs than items on my resume). Both groups are a balance of satire and savage-iyaat.

I’m going to recommend an underrated comedy troop that’s been humorously delivering weekly news by cosplaying famous personalities since 2006. I’m talking about the TV show called ‘The Week That Wasn’t’ on CNN News18, primarily starring Cyrus Broacha, Kunal Vijayakar, Kaneez Surka and Gopal Dutt. My dad introduced me to this show, and he watches it every weekend. It might have some politically incorrect jokes, but hey, the show’s abbreviated as TWTW.

1. The (Relatively) Newer Peeps on the Block

If you’re looking for good crowd work videos, Rahul Subramanian is your go-to comic. The man’s touring the world with a show based entirely on unscripted crowd interaction—take a hint. If you ask, “How to improve taste in men?” he’s the type of person who’d reply with, “Add swadanusaar namak.”

If you’re looking for something real, dark, and honest, watch Sumaira Sheikh’s recent special ‘Dongri Danger(Amazon Prime Video) where she discusses gangsters, death and friend-group dynamics.

I’d also recommend ‘Indian Superstitions’ by Raunaq Rajani and ‘Conspiracy’ by Mohd Suhel. Relatively newer, but different.

And lastly, here’s a special mention for Varun Grover, Aadar Malik, Sorabh Pant, Samay Raina, Rahul Dua, Sumukhi Suresh, Atul Khatri, and Shreeja Chaturvedi. Kya kare, I only had 1000 words. Also, as promised, props to Ananya Nayar, Hiba, Manya, and Niyati for helping out with suggestions and/or ideas for this article. If I get cancelled for these recommendations, so do these guys🥰.

Bonus clip. Last. Promise.

Delzeen is a content writer at Her Campus, Ashoka. A fresher at Ashoka University, she plans to major in either English & Media Studies or Psychology. When she isn't found playing the keyboard, dabbling in digital art, or cycling, she's usually sleeping on her own shoulder, cracking the worst PJs, or passionately talking about her love for cheesecakes and instrumental music :)