This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ashoka chapter.

‘Pink’ is a movie which no one can afford to miss. It is about three independent girls, Minal (Taapsee Pannu), Andrea (Andrea Tariang) and Falak (Kirti Kulhari) who are living and working in Delhi on their own terms. However, Minal, in self-defense, attacks a guy, who tries to molest her and the three of them get into trouble because of this. Deepak Sehgal, portrayed by actor Amitabh Bachchan gets appointed as their lawyer and they are seen fighting for their rights and for their self-respect. Amitabh Bachchan plays an important role in supporting women in this movie. This article will throw light on seven times Amitabh Bachchan is shown to be empowering women.

1. The first time when Amitabh is shown as a character supporting women empowerment is when he decides to fight for the rights of the three girls. When no one stands by their side and the police try to manipulate them, Amitabh stands for them and decides to fight for them in the court.  
  2. The second instance is when the prosecution lawyer asks Andrea where she is from, Deepak Sehgal (Amitabh) cross-questions the prosecution about the relevance of this question. The point Amitabh tries to make here is women from the North East are judged for the background they come from because of which they feel less privileged and less empowered. By raising a voice against such an irrelevant question, Amitabh tries to send a message to the northeastern women.  
  3. When the case runs in the court, the prosecution tries to put a safety manual for women by telling them what to do and what to not, in order to assure their safety. Amitabh questions each and every rule put by the manual and conveys the message that such a safety manual is not needed for women’s safety, but an unpolluted mind is.

4. Rajveer Singh, the villain of the movie, very openly in the court says that Minal (Tapsee) was laughing while talking and touching him. So, he thought that she is giving him a hint to come close to her. However, Amitabh objects to this statement by saying that if a woman laughs and touches a boy while talking, it does not mean she has given him the license to hit on her or molest her.  
  5. When Minal is walking on a street with Deepak Sehgal, some boys point towards her and say, “This is the girl on whom there is a running case”. As soon as Minal hears this, she puts the cap of her Hoodie on her face so that people can’t recognize her. However, Amitabh pulls the cap off her face and asks her to walk with pride as she hasn’t done anything wrong. This is the case where Amitabh is standing for an innocent girl, who hasn’t done anything wrong by attacking a man who tried to molest her.  
  6. The prosecution lawyer points a finger toward Minal’s character because she gets back to her house late every night. However, they don’t take into consideration that her job demands that. Instead, they think Minal has a questionable character. Amitabh objects this statement and says that “A girl’s character is decided by the time she comes home, if she is of a good character, she will come home early, but if she comes late, she is of a bad character, regardless of her job’s demands.” By objecting to this statement, Amitabh tries to prove that girls need not pay attention to such unfair statements.  
  7. The most important part is when Amitabh supports Minal’s action to hit Rajveer because of his actions. He tries to put forward the point that if a girl says NO, it means NO. Regardless of who she is. If she is not willing to get physical, men should accept that and if they don’t, women have the right to protect themselves, by hurting them or whatever means necessary!

‘Pink’ is one of the most recognized films in Bollywood for women’s empowerment. If you haven’t watched it yet, go straight towards your laptop and watch it, with the amazing acting skills of Amitabh Bachchan and Taapsee Pannu.

Edited by: Nayanika Guha

Photographic content curated by: Viraj Dhirenmalani

I am someone who doesn't quit easily till I perfect the intricacies involved in the classical dance form of Kathak! Introverted yet observant and analytical, I love to absorb whatever goes on in the world around me and weave lucid tales out of it. 
Aqsa Pervez

Ashoka '19

An avid reader, she reads almost anything she can lay her hands on. She can share anything except cookies. She enjoys moonlit walks, whistling and basking in the winter sun.