What Color is The Damn Dress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

It’s driving all of you crazy. Heck, it’s driving ME crazy. This blue and black vs. white and gold might be the debate of the century. As crazy as you feel, everyone else feels the same way. Some debate that the difference in colors is psychological, or that you’ve been through some kind of traumatic experience if you see blue and black. Some say it depends on your mood, and that if you’re sad you see blue and black, and if you’re happy you see white and gold. Others say that it is merely lighting, and since the picture was taken with a camera phone, the white looks blue and the gold looks black.

When I saw the picture I immediately saw blue and black. I then asked my roommates, who all saw white and gold. One of my roommates even saw white and gold, took a shower, then looked again and saw blue and black. So there goes the traumatic experience theory.

I have done just about everything to change my mood, which according to some is bad because I only see black and blue. I played with my cat, ate some ice cream, binged watched Friends on Netflix – all things that make me happy, and nothing. The dress is still blue and black.

I then took to Twitter, stating that “tonight is the most stressed I’ve been all semester and it’s because of a stupid dress”. I quickly got replies from two friends, each saying something different about this stupid dress’ colors.

I EVEN asked my mom, who is the Senior Print Producer at Mary Kay and specializes in paying attention to color. She said the dress was blue and dark gray, and she is not depressed, anxious, or in a bad mood. I then proceeded to ask my dad and of course, he sees white and gold.

The world may never know the true color of this dress, and it will probably drive me crazy until the real reason is revealed. Until then, the dress is blue and black.

Jordan is from a small town called Coppell, Texas, but has moved to Fayetteville to attend college. She is the Editor-In-Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Arkansas. She is a junior at the University of Arkansas, who is majoring in Journalism (with an AD/PR emphasis) and minoring in Communications. Her interests include E! network, everything Kardashians and cats.