Learning As I Go: Things You Should Only Do In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

The other day, I was ordering photos to put up in my apartment.  My roommates and I have something we like to call “The Wall of Shame,” where we hang our most embarrassing photos from our most embarrassing nights.  I started realizing that now entering my junior year, I only had two full years to do more of the amazing things and make awesome memories.  I started wondering:  what can I do now that I probably can’t do when I graduate?  That’s when I decided that I should make a list.  So, here you have it:  a list of things you can do in college that are not so good to do after graduating.   

Photo Source:  www.weheartit.com

Going to a music festival.

While I do not entirely believe it is uncalled for you to attend a music festival after college, let’s be serious, it is the most appropriate time to do so.  So, while you’re still young, go to Bonnaroo or Wakarusa so that when you’re 50, you don’t wake up with regret, decide to go and look like a complete burnout.

Photo source:  www.djpicshd.com

Anything along the lines of Dayglow.

If you know what Dayglow is and you are a reasonable human being, you can probably understand why this is only acceptable in college.  As for those of you who do not, it is an enormous raging paint party at a venue and I think the picture gives you enough information.  From paint parties and foam parties to black light parties and anything-but-clothes parties, if you want to engage, then I suggest doing so during college.

Photo source:  www.brainchildblog.com

Enjoying certain beverages.

Ah, the jello shot, the lemon drop, the kamikaze…all drinks that should be left to a college-aged demographic or a bachelor/bachelorette party.  When you’re of age, enjoy them during colligate years because it is probably going to get ugly and super fun after consuming any of these.  I think it is safe to say that white zinfandel Franzia and any flavor of Burnett’s falls in this category as well. 

Photo source:  www.lorivillarreal.typepad.com

Take a road trip.

This is one of those things that requires free time and a level of spontaneity that rarely is present after college.  Decide you want to go camping or to the Grand Canyon.  Hey, drive to that music festival I was talking about.  Until you have piled into a car for an away football game or impromptu vacation, you haven’t experienced the beauty of a college road trip.

Photo source:  www.oraclefox.com

Have Taco Bell as a staple in your diet.

I know, it is delicious.  The thing is, each year after college it steadily becomes less acceptable to make T-Bell runs at 2 AM after a night out, on a regular basis. 

Photo source:  www.theleak.com

Go to Panama City Beach at spring break.

You’re already taking a risk by going during college.  Taking this trip at spring break after college?  That’s just disturbing.  You can use this as an excuse for that road trip I mentioned.  That’s why you need to basque in the bad tattoos, beer funnels, and string bikinis while in college.

Photo source:  www.pcbeachspringbreak.com

Obsessing over all popular forms of social media.

Sure, maintaining your Facebook and even Twitter are completely appropriate after college, but posting every bikini pic with your friends to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram or every drunk video to Vine is probably overkill.

Photo source:  www.parents.com

Join a cause and become temporarily passionate about something.

For a short period of time I thought that I considered myself a feminist.  I used to care about Peta too.  Truth is, this is the only time you’re going to have as much time as you want to hold a sign and be an obstruction to traffic, business, and/or justice.  Find something that interests you and run with it.  

Photo source:  www.enwikipedia.org

Dip dyeing your hair, or whatever is most popular on Pinterest.

If you are going to do something heinous with your hair, this is time.  I have had my share of teal dip-dyed ends (courtesy of Pinterest).  If you are wanting to do it at some point, this is really the only time you can. 

Photo source:  www.weheartit.com

Particular wardrobe choices.

Leggings, Uggs, and a frat shirt are pretty much only appropriate in your college campus and it certainly shouldn’t be worn after graduation.  Embrace the homeless sorority girl look while you can.  This is also the only time it is reasonable to own an obscene amount of Nike shorts and wear them absolutely everywhere. 

Photo source:  www.luvimages.com

Engaging in, or using terms like “darty” or “dage.”

With their latin roots meaning “day party” and “day rage” (maybe not…), it is inappropriate to use these words after college and it certainly is inappropriate to “dage” or “darty” at a frat house after graduation.  Sure, I love punch while playing volleyball at a frat house on a Tuesday as much as the next girl, but after college I won’t be at a frat house…and it’s just called “day drinking.”

Photo source:  www.brobible.com

There you have it. The best list of things you should only do in college.  College is a time to have a blast and live it up.  Be responsible and remember what is important, but also remember that this is the only appropriate time to do some of these things.  You only live once and the worst thing to do is to miss out.  Mark Twain said it best when he said that “20 years from now you will be more disappointed my the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.”  With that said, go have some fun.

Originally from Little Rock, Arkansas. Currently, an English major at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. Studying English literature and French, also working with creative writing.