jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things You Need to Know Before You See 50 Shades of Grey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arkansas chapter.

It’s sexy, it’s a hot-topic and it’s in theaters. If you have yet to see the anticipated 50 Shades of Grey, that may be a good thing. Collegiettes across campus were coming out of their skin to see the film, but did it meet their expectations? I was shocked to see more Twitter posts about standing in line for the film than I did about Mr. Grey afterwards, and after seeing the film, I believe I realize why.

50 Shades was a fantastic film – for an adult novel. That being said, perhaps it was best left as an adult novel. Did Hollywood make a mistake by adding Mr. Grey to the big screen? Absolutely not. Although I never read the book, the acclaimed Rotten Tomatoes gave the film a rather poor rating due to how untrue the film was to the book in sensual nature; and, rumor has it, the two leads actually cannot stand each other off set, which made the acting a bit choppy. Personally, I felt that the film had far too much of a Twilight feel, what with the timid and average lead female falling for the charming, he-stands-out male. However, for the plot of an adult novel, the movie played out almost as I expected it to play out. Before you buy that ticket, here are 10 things you should know before seeing 50 Shades of Grey:

1.) If you read the book, do not expect the book. This is why adult novels may be best left as they are – novels. Without making an X-rated movie, Hollywood cannot incorporate every detail that the book was laced with. Sorry, ladies. If you want that kind of action, this movie will not be for you.

2.) Do not see it with your family. Yes, I did hear of unfortunate mother-and-son-movie-night cases…awkward. The movie does have a great deal of nudity (roughly 20 minutes) and graphic sex scenes. Unless you have a very bizarre relationship with your mother or father, do not go down that road.

3.) Expect an awkward crowd. While I had anticipated a theater full of young ladies, I was shocked to be surrounded by middle-aged couples and single women. It was, frankly, gross and uncomfortable as they chatted about how they left their children at home with the sitter to see it. Ew!

4.) Get your seat early. The theater was packed, and it probably will remain packed until about three weeks before the movie is discontinued on the big screen and released on DVD.

5.) Do not get offended. The movie is not about abuse, but a man with a fetish. Mr. Grey’s sexual desires are a very real thing in today’s culture, and Anastasia could not and did not understand or appreciate it – which is fine. However, the main character is not an abusive maniac, so try to keep an open mind as you watch the film. If you go in with the mindset that the movie is abusive, you may not want to see it at all.

Tiffany Ward, a Junior at the University of Arkansas, joined the Her Campus Arkansas team in 2013 and now serves as the chapter President. Along with being an English major, Tiffany has a minor in Legal Studies and Pre-Law emphasis. Tiffany is a loyal member of Alpha Omicron Pi. Tiffany loves to write articles that provide advice and fun to her readers.