The Trends of the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

With the New Year comes new daring trends that are accosting our runways, our magazines, and our malls.  Here are some edgy and stylish trends that can take your wardrobe from last season to right off the runway in one purchase. 

The elastic belt-
Spice up anything from a little black dress to your boyfriends cardigan by throwing on a chunky statement belt.  Sure, guys don’t understand them, and they actually serve no purpose but to look hot, but isn’t that enough?  A statement belt is an oversized belt sporting some kind of eye-catching design that you wear up around your waist.  They are usually elastic and will bring your outfit up from bland to spicy.  You can get these belts at  every clothing store on University, including Pitaya, Grand Central Clothing, Swindlers, and Cry Baby Couture. 

Statement Jewelry
Next time your shopping for accessories make an effort to skip out on the been-there-done-that jewelry and focus on the what-the-hell-is-that jewelry.  This season simple pendant necklaces and charm bracelets are just not doing it for our UA fashionistas, and bib necklaces and bulky bangles are settling in their places.  Why would you wear boring old one-finger rings, when you can sport a ring that stretches boldly across three fingers?  Take a step out of your comfort zone and spice up a simple sweater dress with an armful of multicolored bangles, a funky ring and tiered necklace.  As long as you know the line between daring and scary, you will own these Arizona streets.

Over-the-knee boots
Everyone knows what they are, but not everyone knows how to pull them off.  When done right, these sexy and edgy shoes can pull together an outfit and bump up your look from cute to chic.  The go-to way to pull off this look is with a pair of skintight skinny jeans.  Because these jeans are tapered to your legs, when you add the boots it will create a slimming and sexy effect.  Add a long tank top and blazer, cardigan or boyfriend jacket, and throw on an attention-grabbing necklace for an edgy yet casual look for classes.  Spice up the look for a night on the town by losing the jeans, and throwing on a mid-thigh grazing skirt. 

Denim Jackets
They’re back! Everyone remembers the 90s when we would sport the denim on denim shirts and jeans, and then throw denim scrunchy around our high ponytails just to spice up the look.  Well its time to dig through that trunk were you sentenced all of those 90s trends, and dust the bunnies off of that old jean jacket.  Jeans will always be in style, but something we haven’t seen in a while is the denim jean jacket.  Well, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and this trend is back with a bang.  Now I’m not saying that it is ok to walk down the street looking like a denim couch sporting nothing but jean.  But with this trend, a little goes a long way.  Do not, I repeat, do not wear a jean jacket if you are already wearing a pair of blue jeans.  Throw a cropped jean jacket on if your look for the day is a boho dress or sundress.  Add some cute tights to the mix and a maybe a pair of slouchy boots, and your rocking this retro trend. 

Funky Scarves
It is officially the spring semester, but I don’t think the weather has gotten the message yet.  Walking outside you can still feel the chill in the air (at least as much as Arizona can get).  Now here is the dilemma; it is definitely not coat weather.  (Who wants to be lugging a big coat around from class to class, anyways?) And its way too cold to go out in just a tank top and jacket.  Solution? Scarves.  When the thought of a scarf comes to mind, you think of the sweltering, chunky, bright purple scarf Grandma Sue knitted for you, right? Guys, it doesn’t have to be this way. Run down to Urban Outfitters, and pick yourself up a funky colored boho scarf, that will not only keep you warm, but also keep you on trend.  They sell them in every shape, size, color and material you can think of so that it is easy to fit into your wardrobe.

Yael Schusterman is a journalism senior at the University of Arizona. She has freelanced for half a dozen publications and is ready to transition from a print to an online focus. She maintains a permanent residence in New Jersey and her goal is to live in Manhattan. The AP wire has picked up one of her stories, "Theft at gallery yields sale to help artists," as member enterprise while working for The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. She looks forward to working with the Her Campus Team and spreading awareness on the UA campus.