Treat Yourself To An At-Home Spa Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Who said you had to pay hundreds of dollars to spend a day at the spa? With just a few simple, household items, a beauty day is totally free—and you can do it in your pajamas. The inspiration and ideas for this pampering day come from YouTube beauty guru, BubzBeauty. While you’re at it, check out her channel (www.youtube.com/bubzbeauty). She’s fantastic.

To begin, open a few windows if it’s not too cold and let the fresh air in. If you have an app that let’s you play nature sounds or calming music, turn that on low as well. We want to set a comforting, relaxing atmosphere. Have a nice, healthy breakfast, take a few deep breaths and let’s get started:

Nails

Strengthen your nails and cuticles by taking about a half a cup of olive oil and warming it up in a bowl. Olive oil is a great natural moisturizer and will harden and renew your nails, whether you’re a frequent nail polish applier or never pay much attention to your nails at all. After soaking them for a few minutes, rinse your hands off and pat them dry.

Hair

A coconut oil hair-conditioning mask is a wonderful way to add body and shine to your hair, all the while strengthening it for quicker growth. Take about a half to a full tablespoon of coconut oil and massage into dry hair until every strand is saturated. Then, put your hair up and wrap it in a towel or shower cap. While your hair is soaking up all of those nutrients, let’s apply a facial mask.

Face

Quickly whip up one egg white, a teaspoon of lemon juice, two teaspoons of honey and a small handful of dry oats. The protein in the egg whites will firm your skin and reduce the look of pores. The antioxidants and other highly nutritional and anti microbial properties in honey will leave your face glowing and vibrant. As a natural cleanser, lemon juice zaps away pimples and oats act as a great exfoliate. If you have very sensitive skin, leave the lemon juice out. Then just apply the mask for about 20 minutes. By then, your hair will be ready to rinse out as well. Hop in the shower and wash off the facemask and shampoo and condition your hair like you normally would.

End it all with a soothing bath

Once you’re hair is totally clean, brush it a few times starting from the tips and gently working your way up to the roots. Then, draw a hot bath. Add some bubbles or add a few tablespoons of honey or coconut oil for a mega moisturizing bath. If you happen to have a bath melt or a bath bomb from Lush, now’s the time to bring it out. Have fun and relax. You deserve it. 

University of Arizona Journalism major, creative writing minor. I am a style/beauty blogger for Her Campus-Arizona and an arts & life reporter for the Arizona Daily Wildcat. I love pugs, reading, baking, and embracing your natural beauty.