This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Studying abroad was the best choice I have made in my college career and, yes, I have made a lot of choices. A year ago, I set foot onto one of the most incredible adventures I believe I will have. I moved to England for six months to study at a uni in Norwich. When I was there I made some mistakes, but mostly a lot of memories. I learned about the person I wanted to be and actually did things to become that person. When it was time to go back to Arizona, I was excited to show my friends my improved self I had created while abroad. My friends commented on the difference allowing me to believe studying abroad had changed my life for the better. I am now a huge advocate for studying abroad and getting the chance to travel if one can. Here are the tips I have for studying abroad to ensure you have an unforgettable experience:

01. SAY YES

GIF courtsey of Glee Fandom

Studying abroad is filled with tons of opportunities—going out with your flat, traveling with your buds, and trying new things. Say yes. Remember the reason why you wanted to study abroad in the first place and stay true to that.

02. KEEP A JOURNAL

GIF courtsey of Giphy

Document your stay by keeping a journal. It may not be your “style” and you might find it cliché but it’s one of the best ways to remember the people you met, the adventures you took, and the places you went while abroad.

03. RESEARCH YOUR SCHOOL AND YOUR COUNTRY’S CULTURE

GIF courtsey of Disqus

You might want to know a thing or two before you step foot on the plane so do research about your school and the location. Find out some local tips and tricks by googling and looking at forums.

05.  MAKE A WEEKLY BUDGET

GIF courtsey of GIF Shortner

Spending money abroad can easily get out of hand. Especially with the change of currency. After seeing how much things will usually cost you, set aside some time to make a weekly budget and try your best to stick to it. 

06. TRAVEL. TRAVEL. TRAVEL.

GIF courtsey of Bren on the Road

This is your chance to not only explore the city you’re studying abroad in, but also the surrounding cities and/or countries. Any chance you get try and visit somewhere new and learn about the fascinating culture of the place.

07. TRAVEL LIGHT, PACK SMART

GIF courtsey of Tenor

The best purchase I made while abroad was a huge backpack. I was able to travel with my backpack that was big enough to hold my clothes, my shoes, and my toiletries. Don’t pack too much, but pack enough to get through any adventure you take.

08. DON’T LET RELATIONSHIPS HOLD YOU BACK

GIF courtsey of Bustle

Sometimes while going abroad, you might be in a relationship back in America, don’t let them stop you from participating. In fun adventures. Let this be a good time in the relationship, filled with growing, rather than something that hinders you.

09. BUY A SIM CARD

GIF courtsey of Refox Relocation

Trust me, Sim Cards are the way to go. Especially buying one abroad. You don’t want to constantly rely on, when there’s not always WiFi available. Or spend tons of money on a plan. 

10. TAKE PICTURES

GIF courtsey of GIF Shortner

Pictures are the best for capturing all of your favorite moments and tourist attractions. I mean we all need a picture by the Eifel Tower or Big Ben. Snap away, but don’t let it consme you. Step away from your phone at times and become present in the moment. You may only live abroad once.

Dayne DiSesa

Arizona '19

Dayne DiSesa is a senior at the University of Arizona. She is double majoring in Gender and Women Studies and Creative Writing, and working on fulfilling her life long dream of becoming a social worker. Dayne is a proud owner of two guinea pigs (Buritos and Dorritios), 20 dreamcatchers, and a car she named after Betty White. You can follow her on instagram: @sunflowersanddaynishes.