Together As Theta Nu Xi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

“Sisters of diversity, together as one.” That is the motto of Theta Nu Xi, the only official multi-cultural based sorority at the University of Arizona.
            Founded in December of 2001 by Sutopa Barua, Kimerberly Henry, Julie Steele, Sruthi Talluri, Heather Truschel and Nita Umashankur, these girls wanted to create a place for young women to be able to bond with others of different races and call them sisters at UA. Since then, the establishment of this sorority has enabled women of various backgrounds to come together and learn about other cultures as well as discovering common beliefs within each other.
            Marina Shalabi, 20, joined Theta Nu Xi as she felt that this particular sorority was the perfect fit for her.
            “Theta Nu Xi was the only option and best option for me,” said Shalabi. “ I could not see myself in any other sorority as it encompasses my culture as well as the cultures of others.”
            Being an organization that promotes unity and oneness, the Chidinma Offomah, 20, believes that her sisters support one another in everything that they go through and experience.
            “As sisters, we support each other in all aspects; not just in sorority life,” said Offomah. “My sisters support me academically and always encourage me to do well in school.”
            Regardless of the sisters’ busy schedules, they all manage to spend time with one another both on and off campus.
According to Julia Coleman, 22, being together and working as one team, Theta Nu Xi has a number of exciting events that will be taking place. 
            “Our 10th annual One Love Multicultural showcase is fast approaching,” said  Coleman. “This show gives people a chance to witness different cultural bands, dances, poetry and musicians.”
            Overall, what makes Theta Nu Xi such a unique sorority is the bonds and friendships that are formed while at UA and even after graduation. According to Briana Rutledge, 21, “Our sisterhood does not end after college. To us, Theta Nu Xi is something that lasts for life.”
            So if you are looking for a way to make lasting friendships as well as to learn about the cultures of others as well as your own, Theta Nu Xi is definitely a sorority that not only offers friends, but a family that will last a lifetime. 

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.