tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

The Ten Tips to Surviving A Long Distance Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

I am personally a keeper of a lot of long-distance friends. Most likely this is because living in eight states, two countries, and going to ten different schools can cause someone to make friendships from all around. But I’ve been lucky enough to have these friendships not die out. Here are my ten tips to surviving a long-distance friendship:

01. INCLUDE THEM IN THINGS IN YOUR LIFE

GIF courtsey of WordPress

Whether this is big or small, include them. They will be excited to receive a call or text with your news. I still wonder how my friend is doing at her new college or if my other friend ever lost their virginity. Sending a text would make their day just as much as they make yours.

02. CALL EACH OTHER

GIF courtsey of Rebloggy

If you’re driving to visit your long-distance boyfriend and want to chat or waiting in the airport to board to go to your far away university call them. You have a few seconds to kill and they’d be excited to see your name pop up on the phone. Communication is key and calling someone through Skype, FaceTime, or just normally will give the personal touch the friendship needs.

03. DON’T BE TOO NEEDY

GIF courtsey of Giphy

We all live our different lives, especially now that your miles away. Don’t be too needy or upset if they don’t answer your text right away. We all can get caught up in moments, don’t be mad that they’re living their lives. Be happy for them. Even if they’re only support, they need to thrive just like you should.

04. SEND THEM A CARE PAKCAGE

GIF courtsey of Gfycat

Whether it’s randomly or for a holiday or birthday, sending something from your part of the country, or world, will make them smile and remember you. Sometimes, their imagination of how you’re living your new life apart can only go so far, give them a taste of your world and they’ll be thrilled. 

05. DON’T FORGET THEIR BIRTHDAY

GIF courtsey of PBH2

Set a reminder on your calendar or turn on your Facebook notifications because remembering their birthday will mean the world to you. Tons of people can wish them “Happy Birthday” on their Facebook wall, but what they really need is their best friend to wish them it and be there celebrating it with them, even if it’s only virtually. 

06. SAVE MONEY AND VISIT THEM

GIF courtsey of Tenor

This may be hard with a college budget, but every day putting aside a dollar might add up. You’ll love that moment when you see them and you remember all the funny and crazy nights you had, you’ll become excited to have to time to continue that trend. 

07. SEND MONTHLY MIXES

GIF courtsey of Giphy

We all have those songs where you hear the chorus and they take you back to remembering as time, a place, or a person. Share songs with them so they can experience moments with you, understanding that “New Rules” by Dua Lipa can save someone from going back to their ex. 

08. SNAPCHAT EACH OTHER THINGS THAN YOUR STORY

GIF courtsey of Pinterest

We’re all guilty of sending Snapchat stories to our friends, but only Snapchat stories. I mean, that is how you gottsa keep up those streaks. But sending them photos of your day–your school, your food, your outfit for the day, will make them excited that you kept them in the know. 

09. REMIND YOURSELF YOU’RE NEVER TOO BUSY TO SEND A TEXT

GIF courtsey of GIPHY

We all have a few seconds in our week to send an “I miss you” text and who knows how that will affect your friend’s day. Sometimes we all need to remember that we are loved, and we do have the capability to affect one’s life. Be that person for them today.

10. DON’T FREAK IF COMMUNICATION STOPS FOR A BIT

GIF courtsey of Giphy

And the sad thing is, I don’t communicate as much as I use to with a bunch of my friends. But I know if I needed someone, I have them. They are only a text or a call away, but our lives do get the best of us. Remember that communication will pick up again when we least expect it, when our lives get less busy, and if it doesn’t that at least that helped you through the times they did. 

Dayne DiSesa

Arizona '19

Dayne DiSesa is a senior at the University of Arizona. She is double majoring in Gender and Women Studies and Creative Writing, and working on fulfilling her life long dream of becoming a social worker. Dayne is a proud owner of two guinea pigs (Buritos and Dorritios), 20 dreamcatchers, and a car she named after Betty White. You can follow her on instagram: @sunflowersanddaynishes.