The Ten Events in Tucson You Shouldn’t Miss This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Tucson, Arizona has been having this debate between residents if it should be considered a town or a city, but regardless of its size Tucson has a wide variety of events. Many college students always seem to miss the fantastic events Tucson puts on every day. So, in case you are one of those students, here are the ten events in Tucson you shouldn’t miss this summer:

SUMMER SATURDAYS AT ARIZONA-SONORA DESERT MUSEUM

Every Saturday evening during the summer, between5pm to 10 pm, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum will stay open after sundown. The museum will be showcasing the creatures of The Living Desert when they come to life. This event is perfect for anyone who loves the desert environment we live in.

Find more about this event here.

MAY 4TH: GIRL CRUSH BENEFIT CONCERT

Club Congress will be hosting a benefit concert to raise money for the “Give Her A Future” campaign. Local Tucson bands will cover the show. A night filled with live music and raising money for campaigns for women sounds like my type of night!

Find more about this event here.

MAY 4TH-5TH: BRAINFREEZE ICE CREAM FESTIVAL

Trust me, everyone, even lactose intolerant people love ice cream. So, make sure you don’t miss a whole festival dedicated to ice cream. During May 4th and 5th, Rialto Park will be hosting this popular festival. There will be unlimited servings on ice cream, a foam part, and all-around fun. To make this sound even more remarkable, all the money raised will be going to the Southern Arizona Network for Down Syndrome.

Find more about this event here.

MAY 12TH: MERCADO FLEA MARKET

The Mercado Flea Market will be running again for every second Sunday of the summer months, starting May 12th. This event will soon be your go-to spot for looking at vintage items and antiques, and maybe you will even find yourself buying something. But no matter what I am sure you’ll have a good time walking around this beautiful flea market.

Find more about this event here.

MAY 24TH: SUPER GAY PARTY MACHINE

In the mood for something a little different than IBTs, but still want to celebrate LGBTQA importance? Well on May 24th at 8 pm, Hotel Congress will be hosting an LGBTQA dance party and show. DJ Shorty will be the DJ, and there will be performances by Häus K, Elena Sanchez, and Bianca Difonsi.

Find more about this event here.

MAY 25TH: BLACK RENAISSANCE NIGHT

Every Saturday evening in May, Hotel McCoy will be hosting an event to celebrate the Arts in the Black community. On May 25th there will be live music as you walk around at look at and converse with other artists. Sounds like a celebration I don’t want to miss.

Find more about this event here.

JUNE 1ST: TMC MEET ME DOWNTOWN 5K NIGHT RUN/WALK

Downtown Tucson will be hosting the 13th annual Meet Me Downtown 5k on June 1st. This event is known as the biggest running event in Tucson for it is known as a night filled with fun. Downton will be having a block party after the run/walk with a beer garden, food trucks, and live music. And then if you’re willing to party some more, the crowd will be heading to the event’s after party at Hotel Congress. 

Find more about this event here.

JUNE 2ND: ONE DAY ADULT SUMMER CAMP

Missing smores by the campfire and losing your voice as you chant for your team during Color War? Well, Tucson Jewish Community Center will be hosting a one-day adult summer camp. The theme of the day will be the favorite color wars event. Come show off your energy and competitive nature. 

Find more about this event here.

JULY 4TH-7TH: INDEPENDENCE DAY FESTIVAL AT OLD TUCSON STUDIOS

Name a better way to celebrate Independence Day in Tucson, Arizona then through the style of the Old West. Old Tucson Studios will be hosting an Independence Day festival filled with games and contests. Get ready to share some laughs with your family and friends.

Find more about this event here.

JULY 27TH: TACO BAR CRAWL

Love Tucson tacos? Well, this is the bar crawl to be at. It’s a chance to eat tacos while drinking discounted beer and margaritas with your friends. I don’t know what sounds better than that, do you?

Find more about this event here.

Dayne DiSesa

Arizona '19

Dayne DiSesa is a senior at the University of Arizona. She is double majoring in Gender and Women Studies and Creative Writing, and working on fulfilling her life long dream of becoming a social worker. Dayne is a proud owner of two guinea pigs (Buritos and Dorritios), 20 dreamcatchers, and a car she named after Betty White. You can follow her on instagram: @sunflowersanddaynishes.