This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Spring cleaning can mean a lot of different things to different people. It could be that time of the year to clean out your closet, get rid of unhealthy relationships and posts, or the time of the year where you start going green (and hopefully stick with it). Going green won’t just be helpful to the planet’s climate change epidemic, but also your bank account. Therefore, here are the ten easy ways to go green:

TURN OFF AND UNPLUG YOUR LIGHTS

Sources show that in 2017, the average annual electricity consumption for a U.S. residential utility customer was an average of 867 kilowatt-hours per month. That can equal your bill to be on average more than $10,000. That’s shocking to most to see how money adds up, but if you can recognize how much electricity you are using, mainly by keeping the lights turned on or plugged in, you’ll notice how much money you spend on electricity.

BUY CLOTHES FROM SECOND-HAND CLOTHING STORE

By buying clothes from second-hand clothing stores eliminates the amount of waste that is produced each year. Unfortunately, sources prove that on average an American throw away at least 80 pounds of used clothing. Think about how many articles of clothing that is and probably cute item of clothing that you would love to buy. Next time you want to go on a shopping spree, think of a local second-hand clothing store.

USE REUSABLE BAGS WHEN GROCERY SHOPPING

There is a lot of plastic that is not deposited into the right area annually. If you want to do something for the environment, it starts with small steps. A small step you can do is stop receiving plastic bags and try to shop with reusable bags. This way you won’t have the endless collection of plastic bags stored under your sink without any idea of what to do with them.

REUSE PLASTIC BAGS

Straws are not the only thing that is polluting our oceans; it is also plastic. Sources show that between 4.8 to 12.7 million tons of plastic enter the ocean each year. So now that you’ve recognized that endless collection of plastic bags, here are some things you can do with them: use them to carry your lunch to school, lay them down before a project, so the floor doesn’t get dirty, or even use them as garbage bags for your bathroom and room garbage bins.

RECYCLE PLASTIC, PAPER, CARDBOARD, CANS, AND GLASS

Recycling can be beneficial in reducing the amount of pollution caused by waste. Harmful chemical and greenhouse gasses are released from trash in landfill sites and work to pollute the natural environment. By remembering to recycle and recycling the right items will work in favor of you and the situation. 

TAKE SHORTER SHOWERS

Sources have shown that the average shower head uses 2.5 gallons of water every minute. Imagine taking your average thirty-minute showers and think about how much water you have used, 75 gallons. Don’t you think you could take shorter showers now with that new knowledge? You don’t always need to waste water while you stand outside it to scrub your hair or body. 

USE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION

Gas is a precious natural resource, but because of the mass production of cars sources tell us that there will only 53 years left of using gas in the world. By using public transportation, you are eliminating the amount of gas you use, and if you continue to, then the amount of gas you use might leave an effect on your community and its air quality. At least one can hope.

USE A REUSABLE WATER BOTTLE

By using a reusable water bottle, you will not only stop producing waste in plastic but also un-used water. Water bottles are also getting by being a trend as many companies are now making fashionable water bottles. By sporting a water bottle, you won’t only look fashionable you will also be making a statement that you’re trying to be healthy for your body and the environment.

WHEN WASHING CLOTHES, USE COLD OR WARM WATER

When washing clothes, using cold or warm water can help you reduce the amount of energy and water you waste. If you use hot water, it will take the machine longer to fill while it consumes more water and more power. The ultimate goal is for everyone to reduce their carbon footprint and try to help the world with its environmental epidemic. By eliminating the amount of water you do waste, you’ll be able to take steps in the right direction.

PAY YOUR BILLS ONLINE

By working efficiently on trying to reduce the amount of waste and energy you put out into the world, you’ll also start noticing how much money you have left in your bank account at the end of the week. By paying all your bills online will not only save you time and help reduce paper wastage, but you’ll also notice how much money you are saving with these easy tricks on being and staying green.

Dayne DiSesa

Arizona '19

Dayne DiSesa is a senior at the University of Arizona. She is double majoring in Gender and Women Studies and Creative Writing, and working on fulfilling her life long dream of becoming a social worker. Dayne is a proud owner of two guinea pigs (Buritos and Dorritios), 20 dreamcatchers, and a car she named after Betty White. You can follow her on instagram: @sunflowersanddaynishes.