Swim into Spring with Giles Smith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Giles Smith swims on the U of A swimming and diving team, and hopes to make it to the Olympic Games in 2016.  Keep an eye out for this campus cutie!

Year: Junior

Major: Journalism

Hometown: Baltimore, Maryland

Favorite Color: Blue

Favorite Movie: Django

Favorite Food: Steak and Potatoes

Hobbies: sports, basketball, hanging with friends, working out, watching TV

Relationship Status: In a relationship

HCA: What’s your favorite thing about the U of A?

Giles: It’s warm and it has beautiful people. It’s just fun, everyone here is really nice and inviting.

HCA: What interests you about a career in journalism?

Giles: I really liked broadcasting and, specifically, sports broadcasting and commentating.  I’m interested in all the things that had to do with broadcast and print journalism.

HCA: What things are you involved in on campus?

Giles: Swimming takes most of my time. I swim for about 20 hours a week, go to school full time. I try to eat and sleep in between there, and have some fun.

HCA: What’s the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you?

Giles: When I was 13 or 14, a freshman in high school, I thought I got a valentines day card from a gir I really liked it.  But it was a guy that pulled a prank on me.  I went up to the girl and started talking to her about the card and she didn’t know what I was talking about. That’s definitely up there.

HCA: What’s an interesting fact about you?

Giles: I’m probably the world’s slowest runner. People would think I’m this big athletic guy, but I’m a terrible runner.  I can’t even run a mile.

HCA: What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?

Giles: Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something. When I was little someone told me I would never win a race, and I always used that as motivation for swimming, school, and life in general.

HCA: What’s your favorite quote?

Giles: “Hard work always beats talent, when talent doesn’t work hard.”

HCA: Describe your perfect girl.

Giles: Someone who has a beautiful smile. Someone that is fun to talk to and someone I can relate to just as a friend before we even start a relationship.

HCA: Describe your perfect date.

Giles: I’m kind of old fashioned so I’m down for just getting dinner and getting to know each other. At first it might be intimidating, but I’m sociable and I find it pretty easy.

HCA: What’s on your bucket list?

Giles: To win an Olympic gold metal in swimming. Last summer I got 8th in the Olympic trials. But in 2016, I definitely want to make the team and get gold after that.

HCA: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Giles: Hopefully happy and with a wife and kids and a good job and a lot of good memories with my friends and family.