This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Summer vacation is upon us and for those of us going back home that can mean temporarily saying good bye to friendships and romantic relationships. Goodbyes are the only sad part of summer, so here are my tips on keeping your relationship alive.

First things first. You need to be completely honest with yourself and think about whether or not this relationship is something you really want to go the distance. If it’s not something you’re really willing to work for, then you’re just wasting your time and your guy’s time. Once you’ve decided for yourself you need to talk about it with your guy and make sure he feels the same way.

If you and your guy are on the same page, it’s time to survive the summer. The key is communication, not too much. You don’t want to suffocate your guy with repeat “what are you doing” text messages. The best way to avoid texting him to much is to ask him to text you instead. The only summer my boyfriend and I were separated I ask him to call or text me before he went to bed so I could say goodnight and to let me know when he woke up so I could say good morning. It was a cute way to be in contact with him without seeming overbearing and clingy.

Throughout the day you can take little opportunities to call him or shoot him a little text. I don’t recommend calling him in the middle of the day for a three hour phone session though. Just a short phone call while you’re on your way to your friends lets him know you’re thinking about him without expecting him to dedicate most of his time being on the phone with you. If you’re just sitting on the couch watching TV and you want to talk to him, I suggest a text. Try to avoid ever saying “what are you doing?” It just sounds harsh and accusatory. Instead say something like “Thinking of you. What are you up too?” or “I miss you. How has your day been?” It’s a nice way to let him know he’s on your mind without seeming like you’re checking up on him.

The best thing you can do to keep your relationship alive during the summer is to not expect most of your guy’s attention. It’s summer vacation. He’s going to be doing things with his family and friends and so should you. Just let him know what you’re up too and he’ll probably return the favor, but don’t expect him to sit around at home just because you are. If you give him his space and just send little reminders that you’re there, chances are he’ll put in the effort to talk to you and keep the relationship going.

And you know what they say, distance makes the hart grow stronger. Good luck!

I'm a journalism student at the University of Arizona.