Starbucks Hidden Secrets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

If you’re like many (if not most) students at the U of A, you frequent the Starbucks in the Union or on University Boulevard once a day, at the very least. While the lines in the bookstore are borderline ridiculous, and the espresso machines have a bad history of breaking during finals week, you can’t help but admit that you probably couldn’t live without your daily dose of delicious caffeine.

With that being said, getting the same Skinny Vanilla Latte or Caramel Macchiato day after day can get a little bland. Though Starbucks offers a wide variety of beverages for any taste, if you’re looking for something new, you’ve come to the right place! We’ve compiled a list of the beverages on Starbucks’ Secret Menu.

Green Eye: Get a regular drip “Green-Eyed” and add three espresso shots to your coffee.

Double dirty: Do you love Chai lattes, but they don’t quite give you the same kick that your regular espresso does? Ask for it double dirty for two espresso shots in your latte.

Zebra/Penguin Mocha: For those of you who can’t decide between a regular mocha or a white chocolate mocha, ask for a Zebra or Penguin mocha to get the best of both worlds.

Red Tux: For some added excitement to the already exciting Zebra Mocha, ask for a pump or two of raspberry to make a Red Tux.

Super Cream: If you’re a huge fan of Starbucks’ whipped cream, ask for your drink to be “Super Cream” and you’ll get half a cup of whipped cream blended into your beverage. This works best with frapuccinos and other blended beverages, but feel free to try it with whatever!

Biscotti Frapuccino: This is the coffee shop-chic version of a Blizzard. Purchase a biscotti, and ask the barista to blend it into any frapuccino of your choice. It adds a nice crunch to your frozen coffee.

Captain Crunch: This is no substitute for a well-balanced breakfast, but if you’re craving the sweetness of Captain Crunch, get a Strawberries and Creme frapuccino with a pump of caramel, two pumps of toffee, one pump of hazelnut and two scoops of chocolate chips.

Neopolitan Frappucino: Who says you can’t have ice cream for breakfast? Get a Strawberries and Creme frapuccino with vanilla bean powder and a pump of mocha.

Raspberry Cheesecake: Very similar to the Red Tux, but not as milk-chocolate heavy. Order a White Chocolate Mocha (any style) and ask for a few pumps of raspberry.
Oreo Frappucino: Ask for a double Chocolate Chip frappucino with white mocha syrup instead of regular mocha for a white chocolate twist on a favorite.

The Nutella: Warning: this drink is incredibly addicting. Order a Cafe Misto with a pump of chocolate, a pump of hazelnut and caramel drizzle. If you have a sweet tooth (like me), you can ask for caramel drizzle inside of the cup. This drink is seriously too good to be true.

Three C’s: If you’re torn on what flavor latte to get, why not get three flavors at once? Order a cinnamon dolce latte with a pump of caramel and a pump of chocolate mocha syrup to achieve the popular “Three C’s”.

Chocolate Pumpkin: Pumpkin Spice lattes may be “out of season”, but Starbucks will make them year round. Order a regular Pumpkin Spice latte or frapuccino with chocolate syrup to achieve the taste of pumpkin chocolate chip bread. Yum!

Before you order, remember that all of these recipes were made for tall size drinks. Pumps may need to be modified to satisfy your Grande, Venti or even Trente needs. Drink up, collegiettes! 

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.