brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Seven Ways to Clean Your Feed of Toxic People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Whether it’s your ex-friends hanging out without you or your ex with their new “boo,” you honestly don’t need to have that information show up on your feed. Spring cleaning is here, and it’s time to not only clean your closet, throw out junk, but also to lose your toxic people in your life you still for a reason want to follow. Here are the seven ways to clean your feed of toxic people:

CHANGE YOUR SETTINGS

First things first, change your settings. You don’t need people that don’t even follow you look at what you’re doing. It may seem “cool” to gain those extra followers or flaunt your new life without your toxic person, but in reality, you don’t need that. Trust me; you don’t need anyone seeing your personal information if you don’t want them to.

DELETE NEGATIVE PEOPLE OF YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS

Negative people are negative for a reason; you don’t need to be reminded of that. By deleting negative people, you are sending a message that means your healthy enough to set your boundaries. If one of those boundaries is that you don’t need to be reminded of that negative person, unfollow them, let them go. 

REMOVE PEOPLE FROM FOLLOWING YOU

The unfortunate thing we always seem to forget is even though we unfollowed that toxic person, that toxic person may still following you. You can easily remove them from being friends with you on Facebook or following you on Instagram. Just as much as you don’t need to see them without you, they don’t need to see you without them.

UNSUBSCRIBE FROM PEOPLE’S POSTS

This technique is another way to stop seeing that negative person and all the “fun” their posting on social media. If you unsubscribe to their feed, you can still act like your “friends” with them, but you wish not to be reminded of them. The easiest part is they won’t even be notified that you unfollowed them. 

PUT THEM ON RESTRICTED

This technique is a different way for them to stop them from seeing your feed and not have them be notified. This way they won’t get to see what you post, whether you’re having fun without their negativity or not, they won’t get to know. 

ASK THE ALGORITHM FOR ADJUSTMENTS

Sometimes even though we unfollowed them, there’s still a possibility you might run into their posts under the “Explore” tab on Instagram. If you see an image that doesn’t interest you at all, tap on it, and there will be a section that says “See Fewer Posts Like This.” We all don’t need to see our negative people on our feed when we’re trying to regain positivity back into our lives.

BLOCK THEM

Block them; sometimes you got to do it before you let themselves back in. Block all contact with them, don’t let them have a chance to enter into your life again. If they hurt you once, they’re bound to bother you, and you don’t need that chance. Trust me, as hard as it is to let go of people it is worth it!

Dayne DiSesa

Arizona '19

Dayne DiSesa is a senior at the University of Arizona. She is double majoring in Gender and Women Studies and Creative Writing, and working on fulfilling her life long dream of becoming a social worker. Dayne is a proud owner of two guinea pigs (Buritos and Dorritios), 20 dreamcatchers, and a car she named after Betty White. You can follow her on instagram: @sunflowersanddaynishes.