Rocky Horror Picture Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

You bring your knees in tight. But it’s the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane! Let’s do the time-warp again!
Although it may not be the newest dance craze, the Time Warp is one of many upbeat songs from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Adapted from Richard O’Brian’s Rocky Horror Show, The Rocky Horror Picture Show conveys the tale about Brad Majors and Janet Weiss, a recently engaged couple. While driving on a stormy night, the couple stumbles upon the castle of Dr. Frank-N-Furter, a “sweet transvestite from Transsexual Transylvania.” Throughout the film, Brad and Janet are thrust into the zany world of Dr. Frank-N-Furter and the other crazy characters that they encounter during their stay.
Because The Rocky Horror Picture Show is a unique film and meant to be seen with others, The Loft Cinema in Tucson, Ariz. has a midnight showing of the film once every month.
There are many diehard fans that enjoy attending the midnight showing, but newcomers are also welcome to partake in an unusual movie viewing experience.
            Anthony Basilio, 20, had never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and was quite nervous as he did not know what to expect when he saw it for the first time.
            “My friends kept telling me to watch it with them at The Loft because the movie is unlike any other experience,” said Basilio. “The showing at The Loft allows the audience to actually participate and feel like they are a part of the action which is something I have never seen before.”
            Being an interactive show, the audience participates throughout the film by using props that can be purchased before the show, reciting lines from the movie, and even standing up and imitating some of the dances and songs.
            Nick Wong, 20, has been a fan of The Rocky Horror Picture Show and greatly enjoys the interactive aspect of the film.
            “I greatly enjoy actively participating in a film that I have grown to like so much,” says Wong. “The best part is bringing friends that have never seen it so they can also share in the experience.”
            As fun and exciting as this film is, it is definitely controversial and not for those who may be easily offended. The film deals with adult material and concepts that would not be suitable for a younger audience. Although notorious for its adult material, The Rocky Horror Picture Show allows viewers to let loose and have fun. If you enjoy musicals and are looking for something new to experience, stop by The Loft and get ready to do the Time Warp again!

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.