Read Up: 6 Books to Get You Through Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Winter break is a time for the mind to rest, but all that rest can do more harm than help as you’ll quickly realize in early January. Reading books is something you probably didn’t have time to do during the Fall semester. Winter vacation is the perfect opportunity to read a book without having to analyze it in 2500 words or more. I’ve compiled the ultimate winter break reading list to keep your mind sharp and entertained.

1. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. This one has been out for six years, but the movie comes out in the beginning of 2012. The story centers around a 9-year old boy, Oskar, whose father died in the World Trade Centers on September 11th. Oskar goes on an unconventional journey to make peace with his father’s death. All I have to say is, this story reawakened my love of books.
  2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Arguably the most popular teen series of the year, sorry Stephenie Meyer. The book is narrated by an unlikely hero, Katniss Everdeen who is literally fighting for her life. Once you start, you will not be able to put the book down. It is an easy and entertaining read, but plot has some valid themes. There is something for everyone, whether you’re into politics or love stories. This dystopian trilogy is here to stay, at least until 2013.
  3. Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris. Keeping with the theme of Sedaris’s previous writings, this book is a series of short stories. Each story is a hilarious account of the trials and tribulations of various animals. This is probably one of the only books you don’t have to feel guilty about starting and not finishing. It’s easy to pick back up where you left off.
  4. Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. The basis for the HBO series by the same name isn’t exactly new, but it is enthralling. This is the first in the epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire. Definitely something to keep your mind occupied and entertained.
  5. Bossypants by Tina Fey. The autobiography of witty and well-respected writer/comedienne Tina Fey. It’s a funny, yet serious recollection of Fey’s life. The book is uncensored so you’ll have a good laugh and maybe learn a few things on the way.
  6. Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. The authorized biography of Apple Inc. mastermind, which was published weeks after his death. The book is an unbiased account of the man who changed the way we live. This is probably most appropriate to read whilst applying to internships, you’re motivation will be at an all time high.

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.