A Rant on Nest-Like Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Dear U of A,

Picture this:
You set your alarm for two hours before class starts.  The perfect amount of time to pick out your “not trying too hard but put together enough that the girl in sweats feels lazy-look” outfit of the day, do your makeup, and abuse your natural locks with heat until you have your hair looking like you wish you looked right after rolling out of bed.  By the time you’re done getting ready for the day you have about 30 extra minutes to double check the homework that is 10% of your grade, and can walk out the door feeling fresh, awake, and confident about your day. 

Reality:
Alarm goes off two hours before class starts.  Hmmmm…..Scandelous dream about you and Wolverine on a deserted tropical island or get ready for class….Snooze Button.  An hour and a half later you roll out of bed, throw on some eyeliner and U of A sweats, and frantically run through your hair with a straightening iron.  This leaves you just enough time to scribble down some BS answers on the homework you totally spaced on.  Oops, 10 minutes late to class.

Believe me, I get it; there is just not enough minutes in the AM at this school.  I understand the sweats to class, I understand the smeared eyeliner, but when I sit behind a girl in class and only the bottom half of her hair is straightened, leaving a nest like matted up mess at the roots, it makes me want to reach into that mess and yank as hard as I can. Don’t start something you do not have time to finish.  Look, I know this is hard to believe, but sometimes it is ok to go out in the daylight with your natural hair.  If you know you don’t have the time to meticulously go through your hair, root to ends, layer by layer, then it is just not worth doing it at all.  It only succeeds in making you look even more disheveled. 

I know you can’t see it because it’s the back of your head, but that just means that everyone else has to look at it.  And every time I do I am fighting the urge to put an orphaned baby bird in it because it needs a good home.  Aka your hair looks like a birds nest.

Love,

Haylie Gabs

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.