A Rant on Leg Warmers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Dear U of A,

Isn’t Tucson beautiful in the Winter?  The mountains are frosted with snow and the air is fresh, chilled and breezy.  And of course, with new weather comes new fashion on campus. This is the time where students replace their drawer’s full of bikinis, short shorts and tanks and move in their Jeans, Uggs, and Sweaters.
Now, I have only been back on campus for about a week now, but already I have seen some pretty atrocious Winter fashion choices. One of the most upsetting to me is the abuse of the leg warmer. 
When worn right a leg warmer can add statement and flare to an outfit that is otherwise bland.  Let me repeat.  WHEN WORN RIGHT a leg warmer can add statement and flare to an outfit that is otherwise bland.
Leg warmers can easily take a turn for the worse and can end up looking unflattering and ridiculous. 
In my personal opinion, there is only one way to rock the leg warmer look and that is having about 2-5 inches of them peaking out from under boots.  Not only is the layering extremely in style for the winter, but it can add individualism and boho fun to a tired look.  
Although I have seen a lot of leg warmers under boots on campus lately, I have also seen some leg warmers with sneakers, leg warmers with heels, leg warmers with flats and even leg warmers with flip flops.
WHAT. IS. GOING. ON.
The only reason a girl should be wearing leg warmers with anything but boots is if she is:
a)    A stripper and need more places to stick dollar bills on stage
b)   A girl with a neurological disorder that makes her think she is from the 80s
c)    A ballerina (in costume)
d)   On your way to an 80’s flash dance party
e)    A 5 year old
If you read that list and find yourself saying, “hm…I’m not a dancer, I’m not sick, and I’m not a 5 year old”, then the next thing you should be saying is, “Ok, time to take these off.  Leg warmers really don’t go with these strappy sandals”.
And if you are in fact a stripper, five year old, etc. then keep on doing what you’re doing, girl, you look great.

Love,

Haylie Gabs

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.