A Rant on Hell Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Dear U of A,

Welcome to Hell Week; a time of year when all sense of anything not finals related goes out the window.  When I sat down at my lap top today- which I had to relocate to the bed because every other surface of my room was covered with finals study material- I just couldn’t bring myself to write a rant.
It is just not fair to complain about what people are wearing when I myself will be wearing sweatpants and sweatshirts for the whole week.  This next week will be filled with text books, cramming, waiting for study rooms at the library, redbull, all nighters, and class.  I will be lucky if I even have three hour in the morning to grab some shut between a cram session from the night before and my eleven AM class, let alone pick out an outfit and meticulously apply my makeup.  
Therefore, for just one week, I am going to let up on my vicious tearing down of the student bodies sense of style, and talk about my favorite trends that I saw this semester.  Don’t look too surprised, I can be nice when I want to. ;)

Jean Jackets- I cannot believe that something good actually came from the nineties.  Due to the fanny packs, platform shoes, crimped hair, and cropped halter-tops, the nineties do not have the best reputation for sense of style.  But the jean jackets, I actually do like.  Pair it with a tank, black leggings and some brown riding boots, and you can’t miss!  But be warned, there is a limit to denim use. Do NOT pair denim with denim; you will end up looking like a couch.  Otherwise, take advantage of this cute jacket before it goes out of style again and I have to write a rant about you in next year’s column.

Lace- I have lots of love for the lace look.  It isn’t just for the bedroom anymore, ladies.  Although I do draw the line at going to class wearing a lace corset and a pair of lacy thongs, I love a shirt with lace detailing or even leggings with a lace seam.  It adds a little sex appeal, while looking chic and elegant.

Riding Boots- My all time fave look of the year.  Now, I am not one for the preppy, “I just came from the stables, shall we hit the country club for a quick bite” look, but I have to say they go with everything and they are super comfortable.  If you are looking for a more polished look than Uggs, and your late to class, there is absolutely no way to go wrong with skinny jeans, knee high riding boots, and a cute t-shirt. 

Now, if you guys will excuse me, I have three essays to write, four finals to study for, a room to clean, and homework to BS.  Have an amazing winter break and take an advantage of the holiday sales because next semester, no more Miss Nice Ranter.  I am keeping my eyes out for fashion freaks, faux pas, and fails.

Love,

Haylie Gabs

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.