A Rant on Girls Who Wear Their Hair Down at the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Dear U of A,

There are a certain number of you, ladies, who feel the need to look like a Victoria’s Secret model at the gym.  This means face full of makeup, your tightest yoga pants and tank tops, and your hair swinging in waves down your back.  Now, don’t get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting all Sporty Spice at the gym.  I for one have definitely kept the men of the Rec in mind while throwing on an outfit to work out in.  Maybe added a little eyeliner over there, a touch of bronzer over here….My special push-up sports bra….Hey, don’t judge have you seen some of those guys?
Anyway.  
All of that is well and good, but don’t you think it is a little far when girls start working out with their hair down?  To all of these girls, let me tell you an inconvenient truth.

What you think you look like: 
Your perfectly coiffed hair, being highlighted by the bright yellow lights of the gym, is being blown out behind you.  It is bouncing up and down as you run, slow-mo Baywatch style on the treadmill.  Your face is glowing from the adrenaline pumping through your veins as you gracefully finish your third mile.  As your run, your tank top moves with you, and lets the fresh air of the gym cool you down.  You are on top of the world.

What you actually look like:
Your hair is flapping spastically around your head, whipping the people next you in the face with each pump of your arms.  Your arms flap wildly about as you try and multitask pushing your layers out of your eyes and staying upright on the treadmill.  Your face is reddened and shiny from gasping for breath as you struggle to finish your mile.  The sweat pouring down from your neck and scalp is starting to seep due south as it wets and darkens the back of your shirt.  Your eyeliner that you applied so carefully just 20 minutes before is running down your face in sweaty lines. 

I have never seen you look so sexy.  Girls, just put your hair up.  It is just not worth it. 

Love,
Haylie Gabs

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.