A Rant on Day Time Frat-Wear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Dear U of A,

Just because you throw on sandals and a jean jacket over a little black dress, does not mean it is appropriate to wear to class. 
This week we are going to talk about the girls that go to class wearing frat-wear.  Now, don’t misunderstand me.  I am not talking about the girls that are dressier than the average U of A student that wears 5 inch heals, skinny jeans, and a blazer to class.  I have nothing against these girls.  I don’t particularly understand the commitment to kill your feet all day on these rocky Arizona streets in 5-inch hooker heels, but I have nothing against it.

I am talking about the girls that even in the dead of Tucson winter wear a tight, TIGHT, black sweater dress that barely covers anything.  Then they attempt to make it time and weather appropriate by wearing big chunky uggs, and a parka.  Or there are the hardcore girls that pair it with stiletto over-the-knee boots. 

These girls need to get a reality check from the Inapro-pro Po-Po. 
Girls, just because you are making the effort to get dressed up, it does not mean you are in style, in the least.  It is actually very tacky to wear this kind of thing during the day.  You look like one of two things; Either a hooker who works streets during the day time, or, two, you just came back from a Walk of Shame and didn’t have time to change before class.  (In which case, EW.  Girl, take a shower.)

If you feel the need to wear those Over-The-Knee stilettos to class, try taking the edge off with some skinny jeans and a chunky sweater.  If you want to wear a dress, pair it with some tights and casual boots.  Learn the art of dressing down.

I think it is totally fine to wear this kind of thing out at night.  In fact, my closet is cluttered with at least 6 variations of the Little Black Frat Dress.  But there is a time and a place, and Psych 104 is just not it. 

Love,

Haylie Gabs

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.