Passport to Jordan Please?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Adventure, class credits and the experience of a lifetime. Where could a student find all of these things? Through studying abroad of course!
            Although there are numerous study abroad programs at the University of Arizona, the Office of Study Abroad and Student Exchange is offering its first faculty led program in the Middle East. This upcoming summer, students will have the option to study abroad in Jordan all while obtaining credits through UA.
            During this program, students who choosing to go to Jordan have the option of taking Arabic, Middle Eastern Studies, or journalism classes. For many students, this program accommodates their need to satisfy certain academic requirements as well as fulfilling an array of various personal interests.
            “I’m a dual major in Journalism and Near Easter Studies and this program will allow me to earn credits for both majors,” said Mark Paquette, a student at  the UA. “ The program caters to different people with different interests all while offering a chance to experience adventure.”
            Classes will be mainly taught in classrooms at Yarmouk University in Irbid, Jordan but students will also have an opportunity to see other regions of Jordan as they embark on various excursions led by faculty members.
            “Some of the excursions include places such as Petra, Irbid and Amman,” said Paquette. “Everything learned in a classroom is good but to learn about a country, you have to actually be there to get the full experience.”
            Despite the various political problems occurring in the Middle East, this study abroad program is designed to be in a safe environment.
            “Of all the countries in the Middle East, Jordan was chosen,” said Paquette. “It’s one of the few countries in the Middle East that does not have a travel warning.”
            As there are numerous countries to study abroad in, Jordan in particular is quite different in which it offers its visitors something that they may not find in any other country.
             “It’s a different choice but that’s part of the appeal,” said Paquette. “It’s an exotic experience and different experience that not many people can go through.”
            If you’re looking for adventure and the chance of a lifetime to learn about another culture, definitely consider studying abroad in Jordan. Fun and excitement is only a passport away. 

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.