This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Name: Jackson Welch
Hometown: Cave Creek, AZ
Year: Senior
Major: Business Economics and French
Status: Taken
Campus Involvement: President of Mortar Board National Honorary, Arizona Ambassadors, Sigma Chi Fraternity

After sitting down with the brown haired, brown-eyed, senior, I realized there was a lot more to senior Jackson Welch that meets the eye.  This Arizona local seems keyed in at the U of A, being a member of some of the university’s most competitive clubs and programs.  I was able to get the scoop on his involvement,  life at the U of A, and more!

HC: What is your favorite thing about the U of A?
Jackson:  I love how pretty our campus is and that there is always something going on.

HC: What are some things you like to do in your free time?
Jackson: I play guitar and piano, I try to do that as often as I can even though I am so busy.  I also love discovering and sharing new music with my friends.  I think I would like to start a music blog in the future if I could, that’s how much I love music.  I also have recently gotten into rock climbing.  I really enjoy doing that when I get the chance to. 

HC: Describe your most embarrassing moment since being at UA.
Jackson: I was with Mortar Board doing a social event and we all decided to do the Trolley Pub which is basically a fun way to experience 4th avenue with friends.  Well I was one of the people pedaling and I ended up falling off the entire trolley and actually got run over on the side of 4th.  Everyone on the side of the street was laughing at me and so were my friends so that was pretty embarrassing.

HC: Can you tell us more about your involvement as far as Mortar Board and your fraternity, and what your favorite things about them are?
Jackson: Mortar Board is a senior national honors society and we hold a lot of social events and we also give out scholarships and do lots of philanthropy events and volunteer work.  We also try to help the campus improve as well.  My favorite thing about it is the members; they’re so amazing.  The students involved are all so intelligent and having had the chance to meet and get to know them was a really cool experience because I know I will keep in touch with them for the rest of my life.  As far as my fraternity, I became most involved my sophomore year.  I was nervous being labeled as a frat guy but I didn’t let it deter me from having a good time.  I’m glad I did it because all the guys are so different and it’s neat having different perspectives coming from different things I’m involved in.

HC: What do you look for most in a girl?
Jackson: Personality wise, she has to have a good sense of humor and be able to laugh at herself.  Also, they have to be really nice, obviously!  I also don’t like people who are fake because that really bothers me.  Looks wise, I don’t really have a specific type but I think I really like a girl who is confident and able to be comfortable with the way she looks.  That’s definitely a turn on.

HC: Why do you think you qualify to be a Campus Cutie?
Jackson:  I’m involved in a ton of stuff so I feel like that makes me really relatable.  I’ve also thought of every major you can think of, so I like to think I try ne things.  I also try to represent myself well and I think representing the school as campus cutie is an awesome thing to do!

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.