stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Healthy Food For Radiant Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

We all know the saying “beauty comes from within,” but what if your outer appearance really does depend on what’s on the inside? Well it turns out, it absolutely does! The food you eat plays a central role in your skin complexion—the healthier you are on the inside, the more your body will reward you on the outside. No matter how many wonderful topical face products you own, they won’t give you the best results unless you’re feeding your skin the proper nutrients. (Aside: for topical face products, opt for natural things like witch hazel as a toner/astringent and essential oils like tea tree and jojoba to fight acne and keep skin at its best).

We all want glowing, radiant skin. Here are four foods that your skin will love:

Blueberries

These guys are packed with antioxidants that nourish the skin and help keep it from looking worn out. They’re also full of vitamins and can decrease your chance of serious illnesses. Always keep blueberries or other dark berries close at hand. Make a berry smoothie in the morning with coconut water, another skin-food favorite.

Avocados

Chalk full of healthy fats and vitamins A, D, and E, avocados are skin must-have. They help fight free radicals (which contribute to the aging process) and nourish your skin with plenty of minerals. Use avocados as a mask as well. They help reduce redness caused by dry skin.

Sweet potatoes

Snack on sweet potatoes with a little cinnamon (no butter!) or make sweet potato chips to give an extra boost of nutrients to your skin. Again, it’s all about the vitamins and antioxidants.

Dark leafy greens

Vegetables like kale and spinach are some of the best foods you can put into your body. These overall super foods, absolutely packed with vitamins and minerals, will keep your whole body healthy. You can’t have gorgeous skin without taking care of yourself.

And of course, always drink plenty of water. Have a glass of water every hour or so—hydration is so important when it comes to skin health. Do your best to avoid super greasy or processed foods and unhealthy foods with high sugar content like cake and donuts. I know they’re delicious, but limit them to once a week or less! Your skin will thank you in the long run.

University of Arizona Journalism major, creative writing minor. I am a style/beauty blogger for Her Campus-Arizona and an arts & life reporter for the Arizona Daily Wildcat. I love pugs, reading, baking, and embracing your natural beauty.