Giggles By Jones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

LJ’s survival guide in Tucson.

Sure, there are a lot of haters, but I actually enjoy Tucson. It can be dangerous and often sketch in some places, but I have found a few gems that have made my experience at U of A very enjoyable.

Treatments:
Wax:
Best place to get a fabulous wax is Sweet Cheeks. If you go anywhere else, you’re obviously doing something wrong. Kelly Bolen is the best of the best and will make your eyebrows look amazing.

Tan:
This is a tie. Kist by Mist, and Bikini Babes. It depends what you want. If you want a spray tan that will make you extremely dark and are willing to pay a little more $$ then I would go to Kist by Mist. But if you want friendly employees, some great people watching, and a less expensive but still a great dark tan then go to Bikini Babes.

Hair:
Aveda on Park Ave. is fabulous. You pay nothing to have a relaxing day and get treated like a queen. I would go there for a styling if you have a date dash or an event. Go to Gadabouts on Speedway and Country Club for color and maybe a daring cut.

Nails:
I love Nail Trix, but if you want the gel nail and quick service go to Pacific Nails. Ken is great and always seems like he wants to give you a hug when you walk in. Note: Call ahead.

Shopping
Clothes:
Obvi there’s Tucson Mall and Park Place, but you either need to be extremely focused or have a coffee with you to search the abyss of Forever 21 and H&M. I prefer boutiques.
I LOVE Swindlers on University and despite some of the tacky clothes enjoy Grand Central. There’s also Collette which is dece too.
If you want to get your Nordstroms fix, I go to Avenue Boutique on Broadway. I normally just go and stare at brands like Myne and Rebecca Minkoff, but if you want fabulous delicate bracelets go there and get one made for $40.00.

Food:
Healthy:
Go to Beeline on 4th Ave. and have the vegetable sandwich it’s great if you want to be healthy and are hungover.

Nice:
I LOVE North up at La Encantada. It’s great for so many occasions, birthdays, dates, family weekend it’s just my fave. Have the Calamari salad.

Close:
W I L K O. This is my all time favorite restaurant in Tucson. It’s one of my fave places to go and have heart to hearts over a bottle of the Montepulciano wine and the mixed pantry board. If you need your fried food fix, order the truffle fries with EXTRA lemon aioli. I typically have revelations at this eatery. Perhaps it’s my train of thinking, or the bottle of wine, but either way it’s a great place to go and enjoy lyfe.
Fatty:
I haven’t been to this place in a LONG time, but I fantasize about going way to often. Five Guys. Enough said.

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.