Escape procrastination at Tucson study spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

To quote the YouTube phenomenon, Antoine Dodson: “Hide yo’ kids, hide yo’ wife, and hide yo’ husband” because midterms are coming! The weeks that immediately precede midterms are when we must atone for procrastination of the past two months. Final papers, exams, and project due dates circle closer as the calendar counts down to March 12. Cue the Jawstheme song.

With such limited time, concentrated study sessions are a must and just like in real estate it’s  about location location location! The dorm (or bedroom if you are lucky enough) is full of distractions. With nail polish, Facebook, and your bed all in one space, homework and studying quickly fall to the bottom of the priority list.  English junior, Clint Baker agreed, “I have to get out in order to concentrate, with TV and video games, and I can’t bring myself to study,” he said.

Though the lure of Starbucks is hard to overcome, the following locations are a breath of fresh air to any study routine.

Caffe Luce
943 E University Blvd
Tucson, AZ 85707

A hop, skip and a jump away from UA, Caffe Luce is an ideal caffeine stop. The warm yellow walls, contrasting brick, interesting artwork, and large windows create the quintessential coffee scene. Before Baker became an employee, he frequented the spot often. He said the initial lure was the delicious coffee and ambiance, but what kept him coming back was the convienence. For all you coffee buffs out there, Caffe Luce roasts and blends its own 100 percent Arabica beans to create their signature drinks. Caffe Luce has free Wi-Fi and is open Monday-Thursday 7 a.m.- 10p.m., ?Friday 7a.m.-11p.m., ?Saturday 8a.m.-11p.m., and ?Sunday 9a.m.-7p.m.

Outside!

Though Tucson may bring us blistering heat in the summer, our spring starts early and in February we have the pleasure of enjoying sun and weather in the 70’s. There are plenty of benches and tables sprinkled around campus where you can start working on both your spring break tan and calculus homework. Carolina Herrera, a sophomore Education study abroad student from Guadalajara, Mexico, said she does homework outside sometimes as opposed to in the library because, “There’s no computer, so I can’t check Facebook.” Just outside the Arizona State Museum there are a plethora of benches to recline on and palm trees to lean against.

Epic Café
745 N 4th Ave
Tucson, AZ 85705

Epic Café is home to the Naughty Toddy, numerous homemade desserts, free Wi-Fi, and sandwiches of the “epic proportions.” The first on the list is the eclectic café’s most popular drink according to employee Chelsea Scott, this coffee concoction is Epic Cafe’s own blend of vanilla, cream, and espresso. Shannon Sands, a third year pharmacy student, and Katie Fischer, a first year law student, came to Epic one Wednesday afternoon for two reasons: food and a lot of space.  They both described their sandwiches as delicious, and judging by the lone lettuce leaf left on their plates, this was an accurate statement.  In addition, Epic offers many vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free options on their menu. You can get your study/munchies on everyday from 6 a.m. to midnight.

Coffee X Change
2443 N Campbell Ave
Tucson, AZ 85719

You would think that the only caffeine boost to be found at 2 a.m., would be in a can on the shelf at a convenience store. With 24/7 hours of operation, Coffee X Change is the answer to all of your late night, early morning, and mid afternoon needs. Theater productions sophomore, Matt Dawson, said he visitss the shop because “I can get coffee, food, and free internet all in one place.”  Coffee X Change also provides an ideal location to people-watch. Dawson recalled one evening he observed a man and his very unusual study partner, a pet parrot that perched on his arm chirping and talking. Apparently Polly is over crackers and on to caffeine.

Other Study Spots suggested by UA Students:           
Avenue Coffee
2502 N Campbell Ave
Tucson, AZ 85719

Bentley’s House of Coffee & Tea
1730 E Speedway Blvd
Tucson, AZ 85719

Yael Schusterman is a journalism senior at the University of Arizona. She has freelanced for half a dozen publications and is ready to transition from a print to an online focus. She maintains a permanent residence in New Jersey and her goal is to live in Manhattan. The AP wire has picked up one of her stories, "Theft at gallery yields sale to help artists," as member enterprise while working for The Arizona Daily Star in Tucson. She looks forward to working with the Her Campus Team and spreading awareness on the UA campus.