This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

TUCSON, Ariz. — What is a Campus Celebrity?

At the University of Arizona, this title means much more than having millions of followers on Instagram, holding a lead role in today’s up-and-coming film, or living in a “home” that really could be a hotel. A Campus Celebrity is a title that recognizes influential leaders of our generation who thrive on UA’s campus.

This week’s campus celebrity is Shay Berges, a senior majoring in criminal justice and minoring in psychology. Berges not only excels in her academics, but also pours her heart into what she considers to be her second home, The Alpha Phi Sorority, where she currently serves as chapter president.

“Greek Life at the U of A really helps make campus feel a lot smaller,” Berges said. “It is an awesome way to get involved, meet tons of cool people and give back to the Tucson community as well as to other organizations nationwide.”

Berges said she fell in love with the idea of being able to help guide her sisters to reach their goals and create a safe space for everyone in the house. As a senior, she has been actively involved in her sorority throughout her time in college. Before becoming president, she held the position of Vice President of Risk Management. Once her term was over, Berges said she was “ready for a challenge” and decided the best way for her to make her mark on campus was by becoming the chapter’s president.

“I wanted to make a positive impact within our house and be someone who all of my sisters can feel comfortable confiding in,” she said. “I wanted to continue to uphold the strong legacy we have had for so many years on this campus.”

Since Greek Life is constantly being scrutinized for producing negativity on campus, Berges said she decided to make it her personal mission to prove this stereotype wrong and actively encourages her chapter to participate and support events of all other chapters of both sororities and fraternities on campus

“I feel Greek Life brings people together, forms relationships, helps develop connections for job purposes, teaches life lessons and raises huge amounts of money for all different organizations,” she said. “Greek life adds personality and purpose to campuses.”

My name is Kristine and I'm a sophmore at the University of Arizona!