Campus Celebrity: Sarah Farkas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Sarah Farkas a University of Arizona sophomore, is one of the friendliest faces on campus. When her academic adviser suggested she join a club freshman year, Sarah took full advantage of that opportunity. She went to her first meeting with PAIN, the pre-professional nursing club, and was immediately hooked. Fast forward one year later and Sarah is now the president.

Age: 19

Hometown: Marin County, CA

Major: Pre-Nursing

Tell me about P.A.I.N.

PAIN is the University of Arizona’s pre-professional nursing club. It is specifically designed for students at the UA who want to familiarize themselves with both the College of Nursing and nursing as a profession.

What is your favorite part of being President of this club?

Being a resource and a guide for freshman pre-nursing students. I love to help ease their stress because I have been in their shoes. I also love the people I meet. Through PAIN I have met a countless number of inspirational people in the healthcare industry who have come in to talk to the club about their profession. It is a wonderful community of people and I love representing them.

How do nursing students benefit from this club?

Every week we have a guest speaker. We have had almost every kind of nurse come in to talk in order to address a majority of our member’s interests. We have monthly volunteer, fundraising, and public relations opportunities for our members with organization such as Boys and Girls Club, Ronald McDonald House, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, as well as events such as blood drives, street clean ups, study hours, the cystic fibrosis 5K, and the AidsWalk.

How did you get into nursing?

I actually didn’t realize I wanted to be a nurse until the end of my senior year of high school. I worked along side nurses all of my high school career when I worked for an organization serving the needs of the mentally disabled near my house. I love the emotional aspect of nursing where you of course have the opportunity to help someone physically, but also mentally and try and make his or her bad days a little brighter.

Why do you think it’s important to be involved with the University?

I think it is a great way to make new friends. Some of my closest friends today are ones that I met in PAIN. I also think it is great to be apart of a community of people who have similar goals and interests as yourself.

Post graduation plans?

I hope to work as a pediatric nurse or in the NICU caring for premature babies. Eventually I would love to go back to school and become a nurse practitioner!

Edited by: Meryl Engle