Campus Celebrity: Hailey Tuohy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

This Weeks Campus Celebrity…. Hula hooping was a childhood game to many, but to one University of Arizona Freshman, hula hooping is a way to manage stress and promote a positive lifestyle. Hailey Tuohy, 18, began school at the UA this fall. She moved 24+ hours away from her hometown, Lindenhurst, Illinois. Like many students, Tuohy came to the University not knowing a soul on this campus. However, this wasn’t the first time Tuohy has felt uncomfortable. Throughout high school she struggled with anxiety and eating habits which made it hard to focus in school and in her social life. “My life was literally in shambles,” said Tuohy. “My friends abandoned me, and I needed to find something to do when I had nothing else to do.” Opposed to medication to help her cope, Tuohy began looking into alternative forms of healing. About a year ago, she came across the art of hula hooping by viewing videos that a friend posted. She remembers seeing the joy, fun and positive spirit illuminating through the video of her friend. The rest is history. “I was really intrigued by it,” said Tuohy. “So, I picked up a hula hoop and started spinning it around my hand.” Tuohy began searching videos online, spending hours everyday teaching herself and learning about tricks as well as learning about the hooping community. She began a new chapter in her life, one that may be far from mainstream -not widely understood- but one that began to provide her purpose, lifted her sprits, and became her healthy, happy, hobby. Tuohy became apart of a community many don’t even know about, and with around 20 thousand people on facebook, the hooping community encouraged Tuohy to get outside, listen to music, and live with positive and holistic values. “My life fell into place one day and it got so much better,” said Tuohy. “I lost weight, I started feeling confident and I had a healthy way of dealing with my anxiety.” With her high school journey completed, Tuohy came to the UA only a few weeks ago feeling nervous and unsure, as many other freshman do. “I chose this school on a whim, it’s been lonely this first week,” said Tuohy. Although she hopes that her hobby will bring her closer to others at the university. She is looking into being apart of the The Flow Cats club on campus, which specializes in all flow arts. She wants other students to know, especially freshman, that even in a new place with all new people it’s so important to find what fits you, and that it doesn’t have to be something generic like the gym or an art class. She encourages others to look outside the box because the reward can be unique and fulfilling. “There is something out there for everyone,” said Tuohy. Hula Hooping everyday gives Tuohy her outlet to relieve stress, to have fun, and to listen to great music, she hopes all students can find their passion, especially ones that encourage the practice of kindness inside and outside that particular community. “You get so excited when you do something new,” said Tuohy. “It’s really awesome.”

My name is Kristine and I'm a sophmore at the University of Arizona!