books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Author Spotlight: Colleen Hoover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Well-written, easy reads are one of the best types of books to spend your afternoon with. You can follow the story quite easily while still enjoying the many complexities of the plot. One of the best authors for this style of book is Colleen Hoover. Hoover’s books always deal with romance, which is, of course, the best type, and heavy subjects many readers can relate to. Two of Hoover’s books have definitely stood out from the rest; Hopeless and Confess.

Hopeless review: With somewhat of a pessimistic title, this book might very well leave you in tears. Centered around a girl named Hope, the story leaves you guessing at every turn. You absolutely have no idea what the actual story is until the very end, and it will leave you wanting for more. Hoover does an excellent job of keeping the reader on their toes the entire time. If you wouldn’t mind being absorbed in a book for an entire afternoon, this one is a sure fit for you.

Confess review: This story is also one aired with mystery from the very beginning, and is centered around a young woman named Auburn who had a child at a young age. You are immediately sympathetic with her situation and are rooting for her from the very start. A young man enters the plot, and you are immediately drawn into their edgy and somewhat “forbidden” romance. With everyone trying to tear them apart, you are cheering for their love until the very end at which point you finally learn the truth of how they first met. If you appreciate a great star-crossed lovers type of story, this book is definitely the one for you.

My recommendation would be to not begin these books until your studying for the day is done, or it might just not get done.