jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Things You Need To Know Before Going On A First Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

I’m sure all of you know that first impressions are everything and it’s true. When you first meet someone, that’s it, that’s when you know if you like them or dislike them. This is why first dates are so important. The first date is what leads to a second date or just ends there at that moment. I am here to give you the best advice I could give you on what to DO and what NOT to do on your first date.

Do:

Be Yourself—This is probably one of the most important piece of advice I could give anyone because you want your date to see, meet, enjoy the real you. You can’t just start acting like someone else and later down the road have to actually expose who you really are, trust me, YOU DON’T WANT THAT. Be the funny/serious/weird person that you are and those qualities might be the thing that catches this guy’s attention and interest.

Wear something comfortable—I’m not saying to show up in sweatpants and a t-shirt but wear something that you feel comfortable and confident in. You don’t want to worry about the clothes you’re wearing on top of worrying about what you say to this guy so if you wear something like a nice pair of jeans and a cute blouse—well, that’s what I would wear—you can just worry about keeping up an interesting conversation. Basically, don’t let your clothes add onto the nerves that you already have.

Smile—This is a personal preference in any situation because I believe it when people say that a smile is the best makeup so show off those pearly whites. Smiling will show the guy that you are actually enjoying the date. It’s also better to smile and look cute rather than keeping serious face and look angry. So smile.

If you are eating on this date: Eat whatever you actually find appetizing—What does this even mean? Well, many girls think that they need to order a salad on a date because it is one of the easiest things to eat and some girls don’t like to eat in front of guys. What?! Surprisingly, some girls do this. Order whatever you actually want to eat, some guys like girls with an appetite and if they see that you are comfortable eating in front of them then they’ll be comfortable eating in front of you. Being comfortable with each other on the first date is a good thing.

Don’t:

Ask your date personal questions—Don’t ask him about his childhood or his family? That is kind of personal and I would wait until the second date for that. Instead ask him about the present, his major, his friends, work and his goals for the future and go from there.

Offer to pay—I may be old fashioned but I don’t think a girl should offer to pay anything on the first date because this is the chance for the guy to show off he is a good guy. After the first date, you can offer to pay all you want but the first date is for first impressions and he should be able to show you that he cares enough to pay.

Use your phone—Oh my goodness, this is a big one. I am just going to tell you now, NO ONE WANTS TO SEE YOU SCROLL THROUGH YOUR PHONE. It is incredibly rude and it makes you look uninterested and bored. If you feel the need to take your phone out, DON’T; just keep the conversation going so that you forget about your phone completely.

Lie—This one falls into the being yourself category because if you lie now then you will lie later and how is the guy supposed to trust you after that? Exactly, trust is a big thing so show him that you can be trustworthy from the beginning.

Well this is all the advice I can give you but there is more to come on first dates. Good luck, Ladies.

Freshman at the University of ArizonaMajor: Theatre ArtsMinor: Spanish and Journalism