The 7 Pixar Shorts That Make a Bold Statement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

With Pixar’s new short “Purl” just recently been released, I’ve decided to present a list of other Pixar shorts that tell a valuable lesson. Whether that means staying positive, never giving up, or being kind, each short film in this list will promise to make you look at the world a little brighter.

01. PURL (2019)

Video courtesy of YouTube.

Pixar has made a viral impact with their newest short film, “Purl.” It displays toxic masculinity in the workplace from a women’s perspective and discusses how that affects why workplaces have been struggling with workplace diversity. It emphasizes the importance of inclusivity in the workplace for a company to succeed. 

02. PARTLY CLOUDY (2009)

Video courtesy of YouTube.

Shown before the movie “Up,” “Partly Cloudy” presents the importance of staying positive. It tells the tale of one stork, Peck, who has to deliver cute, but not cuddly animal babies to their parents. Although Peck’s job is tiring and relentless, he continues to stay positive and not let his friend down.

03. GERI’S GAME (1997)

Video courtesy of YouTube.

“Geri’s Game” was Pixar’s first short to feature a human as their main character. Because of that, Pixar uses this opportunity to highlight the importance of having fun with yourself. Geri is an old man who enjoys playing chess with himself at the park. He teaches Pixar’s audience that it is perfectly okay to be your own best friend.  

04. FOR THE BIRDS (2000)

Video courtesy of YouTube

Being different is hard, especially when you get bullied. “For the Birds” is a short that tells the story of birds who intimidate and dislike another bird because they are different. Although the smaller birds do everything they can to be mean to the bigger bird, the bigger bird doesn’t let it get to him and instead stays happy and confident. The biggest revenge of all.

05. LOU (2017)

Video courtesy of YouTube.

This sad, but eye-opening short teaches Pixar’s audience of the importance of being nice. Lou is a mean boy who loves to steal from his peers. One day, he is given a lesson by a figure made out of items in the “Lost and Found” bin. Because of this he learns how to be kind to his peers and hand delivers their toys back, allowing for his peers to see him differently and want to befriend. 

06. BAO (2018)

Video courtesy of YouTube.

“Bao” presents the importance of family and their children through a parent’s perspective. This short may seem a little off at first, but once you realize that the story is a dream that the mother has because they miss their son, you’ll end up loving this film. Remember, everyone; your parents love you. 

07. PIP (2018)

Video courtesy of YouTube.

We all love dogs, so we will all love this cute story of the importance of emotional support animals. This story displays the importance of never giving up because one day you will succeed. Which is at least right for Pip who becomes a hero as an emotional support animal for the blind. 

Dayne DiSesa

Arizona '19

Dayne DiSesa is a senior at the University of Arizona. She is double majoring in Gender and Women Studies and Creative Writing, and working on fulfilling her life long dream of becoming a social worker. Dayne is a proud owner of two guinea pigs (Buritos and Dorritios), 20 dreamcatchers, and a car she named after Betty White. You can follow her on instagram: @sunflowersanddaynishes.