Wellness

The 10 Things You Can Do Now That We’re Springing Forward

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Winter is harsh, not as severe when you live in sunny in Tucson, Arizona, but still tough. Often, we find ourselves feeling hopeless and even depressed with the cold weather and longer nights. Bu no need to fear any longer! As of today, Sunday, March 10th, we are officially adding one more hour of sunlight to our schedule. What are we going to do with all that free time? Well here are ten ideas on what you can do now that we’re springing forward:

01. LOUNGE BY THE POOL

GIF courtesy of Giphy.

Despite the gym being a segregated area of meatheads and girls just wanting to work on their beach bods, it does have its perk. There is a big beautiful pool on the top of it, opened to all University of Arizona students. Now that there’s more sunlight in the day, it means you can spend time after your classes lounging by the pool and catching up on your tan or feeling the cold water touch your skin.

02. READ A BOOK

GIF courtesy of Giphy.

Tired of reading textbooks based on the humanities or science? Me too. With more time in the day, why don’t you catch some rays and give your mind an intellectual break by reading a book that interests you? Now that spring has come, it means that summer is shortly behind, and honestly, we all get caught up in summer fun that we forget to keep challenging our brains. So, try challenging your mind in a fun way and a pick up a book involving a fun topic.

03. SIT ON UA MALL

GIF courtesy of Giphy.

The UA Mall is the perfect spot for people watching throughout the day. Whether you notice kids running to class or religious preachers telling you that your life is filled with sin. Take a few minutes in between your classes, find a nice shady spot and observe your natural surroundings. Who knows what you might notice about our campus that you never have before.

04. DO SCHOOLWORK OUTSIDE

GIF courtesy of Tumblr.

Luckily, UA campus has tons of places outside for you to work on your assignments and other school work. Whether that is at the tables outside the Student Union or in a little nook on campus that allows you to feel the beautiful sun on your back but is free of distraction, you will be loving how you have more moments to spend outside now that we’re springing forward.

05. HAVE A PICNIC

GIF courtesy of Revolution.

No matter if you want to do this with a significant other or with your girl gang, grab some food that you made or bought from one of the restaurants on University Boulevard and enjoy being outside with your friends. Lay down a tapestry, blanket, or towel, so you don’t get soaked from the wet grass and look up—it is another beautiful blue sky day here in Tucson, Arizona.

06. HAVE A BARBEQUE AND EAT DINNER IN YOUR BACKYARD/ TERRACE

GIF courtesy of Giphy.

With more sunlight in the day, it means that it won’t be dark as late, giving you more time to walk home in the daylight before it turns night time. More sun time also gives you time to cook dinner in your backyard or terrace before the sun sets. Which is also perfect because it will be perfect timing to watch the sky light up with its beautiful sunset colors. 

07. GO FOR A RUN

GIF courtesy of Giphy.

Now that spring is here; it means that summer is not far behind. That doesn’t only mean it is almost the end of the semester, but that it is time to start perfecting your beach bod. Now with more time during the day, it means that you can schedule everything you were able to do before and even have time to go outside and enjoy a nice run around the community. You might also see me working out for the first time in three months if it means I can do it outside.

08. TAKE A NAP

GIF courtesy of Tenor.

Unfortunately, everything in life is a give and take. That even includes daylight savings time. As we are adding more time filled with the beautiful rays of the Tucson sun, it also means we are losing an hour of our precious sleep. So, when you feel your body getting exhausted, give yourself a break it deserves without feeling guilty you are not accomplishing as much as you should. You still are, it is just at a different time now.

09. GO TO HAPPY HOUR WITH YOUR FRIENDS

GIF courtesy of Giphy.

Do you hear that? It’s Illegal Pete’s calling your name telling you that with more time during the day means more time to spend at its happy hour. Grab your besties and enjoy some margaritas as you watch pedestrians walk around University Boulevard. And don’t worry, now that there’s more time during the day, I know you will be responsible enough to get your homework done before happy hour. Right?

10. FEEL BETTER ABOUT GOING TO SLEEP EARLIER

GIF courtesy of Steemit.

With more sunlight in our days, it means more adventures and days filled with laughter, great times, and day drinking. It also means that when you have had enough fun in the day, you can escape back to your bed and fall asleep earlier without feeling guilty. In reality, going to bed at 10 pm was like going to bed at 11 pm before. So with more time in the sun, give yourself time to have fun, but also the chance to self-care.

Dayne DiSesa

Arizona '19

Dayne DiSesa is a senior at the University of Arizona. She is double majoring in Gender and Women Studies and Creative Writing, and working on fulfilling her life long dream of becoming a social worker. Dayne is a proud owner of two guinea pigs (Buritos and Dorritios), 20 dreamcatchers, and a car she named after Betty White. You can follow her on instagram: @sunflowersanddaynishes.