10 Orgasm Facts Revealed!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Scientist Alfred Kinsey defined the human orgasm as “the crescendo, climax and sudden stillness achieved by an orchestra of human emotions.. .explosion of tensions, and to sneezing.” Alfred was the first scientist to study human sexuality. While we thank him for coining the term, scientists in his era and today still aren’t sure why we have orgasms. Though there is no need for a cure, there is speculation as to why some women are able to orgasm more frequently then others. The science behind the orgasm is still very unknown. However, here are some facts about what has been discovered about the pleasurable point of sex:

DID YOU KNOW?

1. Brainwork. The cerebellum in the brain controls the muscle function of genitalia during an orgasm, such as in women their uterus contracting and in men sperm leaving the penis.

1. Excess waste. Men will ejaculate 14 gallons of sperm during a lifetime.

1. Double the fun? Women can experience two types of orgasms, a clitoral orgasm and a vaginal orgasm.

1. Delicate to the touch. A women’s clitoris contains 8,000 nerves.

1. Self-pleasing. 95% of single men admit to masturbating compared to 89% of single women.

1. “Oh yes or oh no”? Permanent Sexual Arousal Syndrome allows a woman to have multiple orgasms a day. According to a Huffington Post article, doctors recorded for one woman 134 orgasms in an hour.

1. Tragedy strikes. An estimated 24-37% of women cannot reach an orgasm.

1. Faker. In 2008, 77% percent of women claimed to have faked an orgasm compared to 24% of men.

1. Think sexy thoughts. According to a recent study at Ohio State University, men think about sex 19 times a day compared to 10 times a day for women.

1. Pass on Penis. 4 out of 10 women prefer masturbation to sexual intercourse with a male.

My name is Jessica Cooper and in the Fall I will be a Senior at the University of Arizona. I am majoring in journalism with a dual minor in history and judaic studies. My focus is in both print and online journalism. I have loved being a part of the Her Campus team for the last semester and am so excited to be the campus correspondant for the 2011-2012 year.