Your Top 10 Christmas Movies Ranked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving is over, we can finally start diving into our Christmas decorations without all that shame (sorry, Pilgrims). As we all know, Christmas movies are just as important as the hot chocolate, ugly sweaters, and all of those awesome smelling Christmas tree candles you get at Bath & Body Works. To ring in the Holiday spirit, I have ranked the top ten Christmas movies you better have on your screen at least once this Holiday season. 

10. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

Filmed 69 years ago this year, it’s hard to believe that some people have never heard of this classic. The film sees the elderly Kris Kringle taking over the role of Macy’s Santa, winning hearts with his selfless, loving persona. Although, he’s also being accused of being mentally unsound by those suspicious of his goodness. In the end, it has to come down to young Susan to save the day and convince her weary mother of the spirit of Christmas. Luckily, in the end, Old Kris Kringle is excused from his mentally unsound trial and they all live happily ever after. This movie wouldn’t have made it on this list otherwise.

9. Bad Santa (2003)

Billy Bob Thornton plays Willie Stokes, an alcoholic, cynical conman who poses as a mall Santa every year just to make out with all the money, jewels, and clothes he can get his hands on. But Willie’s piece-of-shit attitude changes this year when he befriends a troubled kid. If you want to be anti-holiday (while also still being pretty holiday) this year, there’s no better movie to watch.

Bad Santa 2 is also out in theaters now!

8. The Polar Express (2004)

Based on children’s author Chris Van Allsburg’s modern holiday classic, The Polar Express revolves around Billy, who longs to believe in Santa Claus but finds it quite difficult to do so when his family sits on the foundation of it all just being a myth. This all changes on Christmas Eve when a mysterious train visits Billy in the middle of the night, promising to take him and a group of other lucky children to the North Pole for a visit with Santa. Tom Hanks plays the voice of numerous characters, including the trains conductor. If you’re a fan of the book, the visuals in the movie go beyond anything you imagined.

7. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Although it’s often argued to be a Halloween movie rather than a Christmas movie, we’re not sure we agree. While you could undoubtedly make a case for either, it’s so infused with Christmas spirit that it deserves a place on this list as much as any other film on here. Produced and based on a poem by Tim Burton, the film sees Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King of Halloween Town, become obsessed after stumbling onto the neighboring world of Christmas Town. For all its ghoulish delight in grossing you out, it’s also a wonderfully sincere film. It’s a straight-up musical with a giant heart and a touching love story.

6. It’s A Wonderful Life (1946)

TEARS. SO MANY TEARS. It’s a Wonderful Life is one of the best-known holiday movies. Although the film was released 70 years ago, it will always be a classic. Jimmy Stewart plays the good-hearted, but suicidal George Bailey who is shown what life would be like if he never existed. It’s less concerned with holiday trappings than many of the films on this list, but the Christmas setting feels utterly appropriate. If you’re yearning to find the good in the world, this movie should definitely be on your holiday watch list.

5. How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

Adapted from the mind of Dr. Seuss, How The Grinch Stole Christmas will be a holiday classic for years to come. On the outskirts of Whoville lives a green, revenge-seeking Grinch who plans on ruining the Christmas holiday for all of the citizens of the town. Cindy Lou Who is a saint of a girl who is the only resident of Whoville who believes there is good one everyone, including the Grinch.

There is also an animated Grinch released in 1966, but most prefer the live-action version.

4. National Lampoons’ Christmas Vacation (1989)

The classic Christmas Vacation is the third installment in the National Lampoon’s “Vacation” series. Clark Griswold tries to give his family the greatest Christmas ever, leaving everything in ruins per usual. From leaking RV’s, to kidnapping someone’s boss, if you aren’t already quoting its lines around the family dinner table, you will be.

3. Home Alone (1990)

Home Alone is really an escalating series of violent gags culminating in a not-so-surprisingly sentimental finish. Poor Macaulay Culkin, playing Kevin Mcallister, is an 8-year old troublemaker must protect his home from a pair of burglars when he is accidentally left home alone by his family during a Christmas vacation. It’s somewhat comforting in its familiarity. Even if you’ve seen the film dozens of times, and can see the gags coming from a mile away, the film is still the zippy, spirited holiday classic.

The franchise goes up to four, but the series starts going downhill after Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.

2. Elf (2003)

Hopefully this film doesn’t even require a synopsis, but I’ll give it to you anyway. Will Ferrell, playing Buddy the Elf, is one of Santa’s elves who grows up in the North Pole. Buddy travels to New York to find his biological father and his apparently never-ending quest to spread Christmas cheer, even where it is clearly not wanted. The film reflects Buddy’s restlessly optimistic tone, making it decidedly old-fashioned and satisfying holiday entertainment.

1. A Christmas Story (1983)

This movie is a childhood staple. So if you didn’t watch it, then I’m going to assume that your parents must have hated you. There’s a reason TBS plays A Christmas Story for 24 hours straight on Christmas. The film follows young Ralphie who’s growing up in the 1940s and dreaming of a BB gun, while his parents feud over the furnace, the next door dogs, and a lamp in the shape of a woman’s leg. It is as quotable as it is re-watchable. Just don’t shoot your eye out.

Image Sources:

http://giphy.com

http://screenprism.com/insights/article/how-is-potter-in-its-a-wonderful…

https://www.tumblr.com/search/miracle%20on%2034th%20street%20gif

https://gettrendygifs.wordpress.com/tag/a-christmas-story/

Katy Crisp

App State

If you enjoy tacos and really bad puns, come sit by me.