Your New Best Friend: Meet Brooke Curtis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Brooke Curtis

Year: Junior

Major: Journalism

There are few people in this world who upon having only just met them, seem like you’ve known them for much, much longer. Brooke is one of those people. So rather than trying showcase her talent using my own words to attempt to get you to comprehend what I mean, I’ll let her words do the job and I promise after reading them, you’ll be saying “Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship”.  

Q: What was your reason for choosing to come to Appalachian State?

A:  In my sophomore year of high school, I took a ceramics class and learned that my teacher was an alumnus from App State where she had studied art and majored in ceramics. I had never really thought about college until that class because I guess when you’re 15 it seems so far off. The more she spoke about it the more I wanted to see myself here just like her – studying art and developing as a young artist. I remember even saying to myself “I am going to go to Appalachian State University!” and coming home and excitedly telling my mom that! So I guess that those conversations with my teacher planted the seeds that led to me being here.

Q:What is your major and the reason you chose it?

A: Well, I am not majoring in art like I thought I would have in 10th grade! But I am pursuing a passion that I have had for as log as I can remember. I am a journalism (communication) major and I am studying in the hopes of one day writing stories that highlight the lives of people who otherwise would not be written about. Reading, then consequently writing, and my love for people was what truly inspired me to pursue my major. I also want to go to seminary after I graduate and hope I can tie the skills I’ve acquired during my time at App into my ministry.

Q: Has anyone made an impact on you or do you think you’ve made an impact on anyone while here? 

A: I am not really sure if I have made an impact on anyone while here. Though, I don’t think that I would be proud enough to say whether or not I think that even if I did. I do know for a fact that everyone who I have met while living here has made a great impact on me personally. I’d say the most specific one would be my roommate, Serena Thurston. She has really helped me begin to see my own beauty and worth through her friendship and her words.

Q: What activities are you involved in or want to get involved in?

A:  Right now I am not super involved in anything mainly because it is my first semester here so I want to find my place first – if that makes any sense. I do know that I really want to be involved in some of the free art classes in the Turchin center on Tuesday nights! I might not have come here to pursue an art major but I am still deeply in love with art! I would also like to be involved with student media – which is something I am learning more about now and involves stuff like the newspaper and the pel! Just to maybe further my portfolio and have my stuff be published & read by someone other than my mom, teachers or boyfriend haha!

Q:What is one thing you absolutely want to accomplish here before graduating?

A: I would like to have made a group of close friends & complete an internship. Also, this is silly, but I’d like to host a time slot for the App state radio station, 90.5.

Q:Have you been able to make a lot good friends while here?

A:  I have! They’re good friends because I can be myself around them and I also feel like they would be there for me at times when I might be broken hearted and need a friend to be there for me. I do need to make more though. And I intend to . . . it’s just, I haven’t quite plucked up the courage yet.

Q: What’s your favorite class?

A: My favorite class would probably have to be multimedia storytelling. It is just about so much that I want to do that it’s really exciting to work on the projects my professor, Allison Dyche, gives us.

Q: What are your favorite things to do in Boone or on campus?

A: On campus, I really like to go to the library. Cliché, I know, but like I said I love to read and so the fact that I have unlimited access to a three story library is, for me, pretty great. Off campus, I enjoy exploring thrift/antique stores and finding previously loved things that I otherwise couldn’t find anywhere else. I also love coffee! Anywhere  that serves coffee in Boone I have been to and relished a good cuppa.

Q: Do you have any advice for incoming students based on your own experience?

A: Don’t. Skip. Your. Classes. Seriously, just go. Unless you are sick. Then stay snuggled up at home. Oh, and don’t be afraid of asking people questions if you’re lost – they don’t care and you aren’t bothering them. Just don’t care in general what people think – if you want to wear five different patterns and two different sock then do it. Express yourself!

Q: If you had to recommend one place to visit in Boone, where would it be?

A:  Go to the farmer’s market on Saturdays! Because it really is wonderful! Also, there is a spot in the Daniel Boone Park that is up a huge hill, very hard to climb up in sandals but completely worth it, and at it you can see the whole city just laid out in front of you and it is beautiful. A neat feature the park has is a small rock fence that is nice to sit on and read.

Q: What’s the best experience you’ve had here so far?

A:  I went hiking with my boyfriend and my best friend. We went to two different places but it was so beautiful and so quiet. I have a little social anxiety so when things are very loud I tend to feel a bit uncomfortable. I felt at peace and able to think clearly and really enjoy myself without second guessing anything.

Where do you want to be in five years?

A: New York City! And married. So cliché. But I am extremely cliché so whatever!

“Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”