Winter Emergency Kits For Your Car

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Winter is finally here!  While this dreamy season has its many merits, it can also be a very dangerous time of year, especially if you’re on the roads frequently.  You never know when a harsh storm will hit, so all of you collegiettes should keep a winter emergency kit in your car.  Having a few basic items on hand will ensure that you’re prepared in the event you’re unable to start your car, you get lost, slide off of the road, etc.

1. Ice scraper.  If you’re a full time student at App with a car, this one is a no-brainer.
  2. Jumper cables.  These cables are good to keep in your car year-round, but especially in the winter when the frigid temperatures can make it especially difficult for your car to start. 
  3. Window washer fluid.  It seems like people only run out of window washer fluid when they need it most, so keep a little extra in your car just in case. (And also know how to use it!)
  4. Anti-freeze. A winter staple.
  5. First aid kit.
  6. Blanket.  In the horrible event that you would have to sleep in your car or stay there for an extended period of time, you want to make sure you have something to keep you warm.  It doesn’t hurt to keep a blanket or some extra sweaters and thermals in your trunk.
  7. Flashlight.
  8. Kitty litter.  This might seem silly, but kitty litter can provide excellent traction when roads are slick.  Plus, according to Esuranceblog, the weight of the kitty litter (you cat-lovers know it’s heavy) adds extra weight to the tail end of your car, which means more traction.
  9. Bottled water and snacks.  When I say snacks, I don’t mean chips or candy bars.  Keep nutritious and filling snacks like high protein granola bars on hand for an emergency.
  10. Matches or a flare.  It might sound a little drastic, but it doesn’t hurt to be prepared. 
I am a 2015 graduate of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. I graduated summa cum laude with a degree in communication, journalism. Upon graduation, I moved to Nashville, Tennessee to work for my college sorority, AOII. I am currently the Assistant Director of Communications of AOII and Editor of our internationally-circulated magazine, To Dragma. I'm a fitness enthusiast through and through. I love weightlifting, running and boxing, and I am always up for a new workout! I am also a coffee addict with a killer sweet tooth. When I'm not at work or at the gym, you can find me scoping out the latest and greatest coffee and donut spots in Nashville.  I've been part of the Her Campus team since 2012, when I joined App State's team of writers. I was the CC of my chapter my senior year, as well as a Chapter Advisor. I have remained a CA since graduating, and I love having the opportunity to stay connected to Her Campus in this role!