Style > Beauty

Why You Should Regularly Clean Your Makeup Brushes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

We all know we are supposed to keep our makeup brushes clean, but sometimes that chore can go left undone for too long. I am guilty of forgetting to keep up with my makeup brush cleaning, but after reading about what can happen with dirty makeup brushes, I have set multiple reminders on my phone, Apple Watch and anywhere else I can possibly look for a reminder. 

Not cleaning your makeup brushes causes buildup, and not just makeup buildup. When you rub your makeup brushes all over your face, those brushes are picking up the dirt, dust, oil, dead skin cells, and any other grossness that could be living on your skin. That stuff stays there and every time you use that brush afterwards, you are just spreading it all around on your face again. This leads to skin irritation and lots of acne because all of that stuff clogs up your pores. Brushes are also a breeding ground for different germs and bacteria. If you don’t clean that stuff off, you could get sick. It also taints the products you are using, causing them to go bad faster than they normally would. Each time you dip your brush, you are transferring that dirt and bacteria into your makeup products.

Cleaning your brushes regularly also provides a better application. When makeup builds up on a brush, it starts to cake, leaving your brushes applying streaky and unevenly. Washing your brushes will help them last longer and provide a smooth and even finish.

All of that stuff really grossed me out, especially all the dirt and bacteria. So, naturally I looked up how to clean your brushes effectively, and luckily, I am going to share that information with you. You should wash your face brushes at least once a week and your eye brushes at least twice a month.

First, you need to wet your brushes with lukewarm water. Then, apply a little bit of soap or brush cleanser to the tip of the brush and massage it carefully. Rinse out the soap and keep rinsing until the water runs clear. Squeeze the excess water out, and then pat the brush with a towel to dry. Don’t forget to reshape your brush and lay it on a towel to dry. 

It really is worth taking five to ten minutes out of your week to clean your brushes. Your skin and your makeup with most definitely thank you!

Sources:

https://www.sigmabeauty.com/brushes/c/317

giphy.com

https://www.blankcanvascosmetics.com/blog/top-5-reasons-to-clean-your-ma…

Christiana is a Senior at Appalachian State, where she is an Elementary Education major. She is the Editor in Chief of Her Campus App State and a sister of Sigma Kappa Sorority and serves as her chapter's Vice President of Scholarship. In her free time, Christiana likes to look at cute pictures of puppies, watch Netflix, and eat Ben and Jerry's Half Baked ice cream. She hopes to be a Kindergarten teacher one day, and to be a role model for elementary schoolers everywhere.