This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Rooming with your bestie or friends can be a blast, but it can also be a nightmare. If it’s your first year in college or your last, your safest bet is to live alone. I know, I know, living alone sounds scary, but I promise you it will save you from headaches and stressful, anxiety-filled days.

Being alone sounds like it could never be fun. It can be scary and uncomfortable but I promise you it all works out. When you live alone, you can pretty much do whatever you want — so long as you don’t annoy your neighbors. If you want to watch movies in the living room at 4 a.m., it’s completely allowed. If you want to walk around naked, there is no one to judge you. Living alone means there are no boundaries that need to be made or set. It all depends on the boundaries that you set for yourself.

I found that a lot of my friends and I’s roommate horror stories always revolved around someone not being respectful about boundaries at the end of the day. While some people may not care about their things and what other people do, that is certainly not the case for me. I am someone who prefers my things to not be touched or used unless someone asks first, for people to let me know if someone is coming over or spending the night, to not have loud noises after 10 p.m., and to be respectful of me, my things and my feelings. While some of this may sound like a bit much, these were and are very important things for me. When you live alone, you don’t have to worry about your personal boundaries being disregarded. 

Living alone means you get to set your schedule and not have to worry if you are being too rowdy or loud for other people since it’s your space. You also don’t have to worry about people going through your things, using your items, or ruining your stuff. If you have a partner, that also means you don’t have to worry about your roommates bothering you during your intimate times; you can just genuinely enjoy your partner’s company. Lastly, the drama is pretty much nonexistent. If that doesn’t sell you, I don’t know what will. In the end, your living situation is your decision, but if I can share some friendly advice it would be to live alone and become your own person; you’ll have plenty of time to see and visit friends throughout the years. And you’ll have your own space to host your friend’s visits too!

Here’s to living alone! Cheers!

Ariana Fuentes

App State '23

Optimistic at the moment