Why You Should Get Plugged In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Ever since the semester I transferred here, I knew I wanted to be involved in some way.

For me, involvement meant trying out the student newspaper. And, I was dead-set on pursing the paper. I emailed them that semester before, emailed that January, came in for an interview during the first week of classes and very, very nervously awaited a confirmation email to see if I received a position.

When an email came, I could not have been happier. I was so excited to try something I had wanted to do for a very, very long time. Try, implying I had zero experience whatsoever writing journalistically.  So, naturally, that first semester I had one story published in the paper. Nonetheless, I was more than excited when the story went through.

Aside from the excitement, writing for the paper helped me learn so much about myself, but most importantly, the connections I made trying to find story ideas and interviewing different people around campus and attending different events opened up a wealth of opportunities for me to consider. I was always checking out the flyers posted around campus and found myself wanting to help out in more ways than just the writing the story. I wanted to be involved, I wanted to try all of these activities. (Note: I am the type of person to try everything at least once). Her Campus is just one example of what I had been exposed to. I remember seeing a flyer for some run with the initials HC and thinking, what is that? I was merely interested for the event, but when I found out what the initials stood for, I was immediately hooked. I had to find out more. I had to apply. I had to write. And, here I am today.

So, if it were not for my involvement with the student newspaper, I wouldn’t be where I am today. If I just focused on schoolwork that first semester, my homesickness would have been a lot worse. Did it take up a lot of my time? Of course. But I can assure you, it was worth every extra Saturday I kept my friends waiting because I had an event to cover.

Don’t worry about your SO or BFF getting annoyed. Instead, remember: if they really care for you and your ambitions, they will understand. Plus, you have these new friends, too. It’s your life, your college experience. You do you, collegiettes!

Websites used:

http://trailhead.appstate.edu/leadership-resources

http://www.theappalachianonline.com/old/

Kaitlan is currently a senior, English major with a concentration in professional writing and a minor in communications at Appalachian State University. She is the Sigma Tau Delta Alpha Lambda Alpha president and the Mountaineer Hall Treasurer. This is her second year writing for HC.