Why Studying Abroad Will Change Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

1.     It’s the best way to travel. With academic breaks you have the opportunity to visit so many cool places that you would’ve never thought existed before you studied abroad. A lot of study abroad programs even have built in trips that you can go on too!

2.     You’ll meet a bunch of cool friends! And who knows, if you decide you love it, those connections will allow you to keep coming back!

3.    Diversity in your classes: By studying abroad you get to take courses that you probably wouldn’t have had the opportunity to at your school. It gives you an edge to your major and allows you to learn different skills you might not have at home.

4.     It helps you to learn more about yourself. Studying abroad exposes you to cultural differences that force you to reconsider your own beliefs and values. The experience will allow you to see your own culture through someone else’s eyes and also allow you to put yourself in someone else’s shoes for a while. You also come back with ideas and perspectives you’ve never thought of before. 

5.     Work Force Edge: Studying abroad can give you an edge when you enter the work world! Many undergraduates never go abroad, giving you a little bit of an interesting perspective when you start looking for jobs. Because of your more globalized perspective on things, that employer is more likely to hire you!

All in all, studying abroad is a scary, exciting, and wonderful experience that everyone should consider. Here at App we have an awesome study abroad program! Just remember when you’re looking into it that you can’t apply until you go to an information meeting! Deadline for most programs to study abroad Spring 2015 is September 15th.

Information Sessions are every Monday and Thursday at 3:30pm – 4:15pm in Student Union Room 120 (Roan Mountain). If you want to check it out even more look at international.appstate.edu for more information!