Style > Beauty

Why Beauty and the Beast is One of the Best Films of 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Unless you have been living under a rock, you know that Disney’s live action version of Beauty and the Beast came out yesterday. If you didn’t see it on its opening day, you need to go ASAP. This movie is everything I hoped it would be, and that hasn’t happened for me with a movie in a really long time.

I am a Disney fanatic and Beauty and the Beast was always my favorite growing up. I love Beauty and the Beast because Belle is such a strong female lead character in this story. She doesn’t care that everyone in the village thinks she is a bit odd because she would rather read than do house chores and make google-y eyes at Gaston all day. Belle is an inspiring character for all young girls and women who aspire to be strong, independent, and follow their dreams regardless of what other people think.

If you have seen the original Beauty and the Beast, you know the story. A young and greedy prince gets cursed because of his materialistic lifestyle, turning everyone in the castle into random household objects. The spell can only be broken if the prince-turned-beast can learn to love someone and be loved in return by the time the last petal on an enchanted rose falls. 

Meanwhile, Belle is living with her father in a village that lacks the adventure she seeks. She becomes the prisoner of the beast, but little does she know, this is the adventure she was waiting her whole life for. The town “hero” Gaston has become smitten with Belle, and although he makes his best effort to woo her, Belle has no interest in him. I love this aspect of the story because it proves to younger viewers, and even older women, that you don’t need a man to be happy or to define your worth. 

Emma Watson was the perfect actress to play the role of Belle. She has been my all-time favorite actress since I was a kid and watching Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone for the first time. She is brilliant and a true beauty in every sense of the word. She flawlessly told the story of a strong young woman, willing to drop everything to take care of her beloved father, and who can see that beauty comes from within. 

I don’t want to spoil the magic of this movie for any of you hoping to see it soon, so I won’t say too much more. The music was amazing, the special effects were spot on, and the actors casted to play these characters were perfect. This movie is now one of my all time favorites, especially with Emma Watson playing Belle. There are so many underlying themes that make it such a relatable movie to younger women and older women alike.

I can’t lie though. I was a little upset when the beast turned back into a prince and it wasn’t Rupert Grint (more commonly known as Ron Weasley) kissing Belle, but Dan Stevens did do a pretty killer job with that part.

This movie will make you laugh and it will make you cry. I felt like I was reliving my childhood with every scene, especially the musical numbers. So now, please do yourself a favor and GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

Photo Sources:

http://giphy.com/beautyandthebeast

http://coogradio.com/2017/03/beauty-and-the-beast-movie-review/

Christiana is a Senior at Appalachian State, where she is an Elementary Education major. She is the Editor in Chief of Her Campus App State and a sister of Sigma Kappa Sorority and serves as her chapter's Vice President of Scholarship. In her free time, Christiana likes to look at cute pictures of puppies, watch Netflix, and eat Ben and Jerry's Half Baked ice cream. She hopes to be a Kindergarten teacher one day, and to be a role model for elementary schoolers everywhere.