When Your Life is Just Like Gilmore Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Rory and Lorelai Gilmore are the pinnacle of mother-daughter-relationships. The type of relationship that no matter what happens, they’re always going to be there for each other. Not everyone is lucky enough to have this type of relationship, but I am that lucky.

I was born not too long after my mom turned 20 years old and for the last 21 years she has never failed to be my best friend and my mother at the same time.

(Some Spoilers ahead!)

I remember the first time that I watched an episode of Gilmore Girls. I was a freshman in college and five minutes into the first episode. I was just dumbfounded at how similar to my life it was. Every converstaion young Rory and Lorelai have, I have had multiple times at the same speed. But the older I get, the more I realize these types of relationships are a little bit like getting a satisfying ending to a series. (Looking at you Amy Sherman-Palladino)

Not everyone knows how it feels for your mom to finish your sentence before you even get it started, or to feel like your mom is really your best friend. Don’t get me wrong, she raised me, she was tough, she told me no (and still does), but we were always friends too. Girls that I had been friends with my entire life disapeared as time went on, but she never has.

I dated my share of Dean’s and she was always there with pithy comments and puns to make me feel better when it went south. Don’t even get me started with the amount of times everyday we work movie quotes into our conversations. Also like the Gilmore Girls, everytime we’re together its like a competition to see how much food we can eat in a day.

When your mom is young, you almost grow up together and you go through a lot of things for the first time together. When my Mom’s mom died it was a lot like the aftermath of Richard’s passing. We grew a lot closer and I don’t think either of us would have gotten through it without the other. 

So, shout out to my mom because I am forever grateful to have my own personal Loreli and for our endless adventures and junk fooding.

Shout out to all of the Gilmore Girls out there because we truly are the luckiest. Here’s hoping we get to have these relationships with our own daughters one day… minus the Emily drama of course.

Kaitlyn Reavis

App State '18

Kaitlyn is a senior at Appalachian State majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Political Science.  Kaitlyn is the President of Her Campus App State as well as one of the Campus Correspondents.  She's also the president of App's Ducks Unlimited chapter, and a member of Sigma Alpha Lambda, which is the communication honors society, and a member of Collegiate Republicans. She's moved by her love for this country and the way it works. She hopes to one day be a part of what makes it work be it in politics or campaign management and research. In her free time Kaitlyn coaches’ softball, reads, obsesses over her 6 dogs (yes you read that right), and enjoys being surrounded by the people she loves. She hopes to turn her stories into a book one day but until then... "Never settle for bad coffee, bad friends, or bad men."