What’s What of Homecoming?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Confused about homecoming, collegiettes? We were lucky enough to get the inside scoop on what’s going on this week with Homecoming.

First, we have the homecoming kick-off from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Sanford Mall on Monday, September 28. The kick-off sets the stage for all of the other events, such as the Penny Wars, Lip Sync, banner contest, the parade, the kazoo band, and the spirit under the stars. At the kick-off, App S.T.A.T. will have collection jugs for pocket change representing each graduating class, fostering a friendly competition between classes. After the kick-off, there will be a contact table outside of Cascades in the student union, running until October 2nd.

The Lip Sync Prelims set the stage for the Lip Sync Finals. The Prelims were on Monday and Tuesday, September 21 and 22, respectively. However, the Lip Sync Finals are during homecoming week on October 2 at 7:30 p.m. at the Holmes Convocation Center. 

The banners for each competitor were due September 23. This means that this week the banners will be judged and hung on the railing above Cascades.

The Blood drive was also on Wednesday, September 23, and as a school, we garnered 1322 pints of blood, surpassing our 1315 amount from last year.

The Homecoming King and Queen nominations were due when all of the competitors registered with the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership (CSIL) on Wednesday, September 16. If the nominees were interested, they applied and had their application reviewed from September 20-23. If the students passed the application process, they moved on to the more formal interview and photo round. If they passed the interview round, they changed their cover photo on Facebook to “campaign” for homecoming king or queen.   The voting for Homecoming King and Queen lasts from Monday, September 28 to Thursday, October 1 at 5 p.m.

The next event is the parade on October 2nd, where all the clubs, organizations, hall councils, and athletic teams will meet at 5 p.m. at Peacock/Raley Hall for judging the floats and banners. After the parade, the competitors meet Duck Pond Field at 7:30 to sign-in for their kazoo band routine.

The last event before the game is the spirit under the stars, where everyone will go to Duck Pond Field after the kazoo band performances for *free* food, games, prizes, fireworks and other fun stuff.

Last but not least, there is the tailgating, then the homecoming game versus Wyoming this Saturday! So, what are you waiting for, collegiettes? Show your spirit and have the time of your life!

Websites used:

http://homecoming.appstate.edu/

https://instagram.com/p/8CKJ_GMyyD/?taken-by=appstate

Kaitlan is currently a senior, English major with a concentration in professional writing and a minor in communications at Appalachian State University. She is the Sigma Tau Delta Alpha Lambda Alpha president and the Mountaineer Hall Treasurer. This is her second year writing for HC.