What to Read After Fifty Shades of Grey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Did you spend your summer stuck between the pages of Ana Steele and Christian Grey’s steamy private life? If so, don’t be ashamed! Over twelve million copies of Fifty Shades of Grey have been sold in the United States, contributing to its new record of being “the fastest-selling paperback book ever beating out J.K. Rowling’s ‘Harry Potter’ series,” according to Business Insider.

The fact that six times more Kindle eBooks than print books have been sold seems to prove that readers don’t want everyone to know that they are reading such a provocative novel but, the truth is, Fifty Shades of Grey has brought about a great spike of interest in this genre.

So here’s the question: What do you read next?

A thrilling option is Sylvia Day’s Bared to You, currently climbing up The New York Times Bestsellers list, which provides readers with the perfect follow-up for Christian Grey.

In this novel the leading lady, Eva Tramell, moves across the country to New York City where a chance meeting with the rich and powerful Gideon Cross leads to a compelling romance that she never expected. Gideon’s controlling nature and frightening but mysterious secret challenge them at every turn. Yet both are desperate for each other.

Sounds familiar, right? Here is what makes Bared to You different, and arguably better, than Fifty Shades of Grey.

Eva is not an innocent little girl waiting to be swept off her feet by a fictional man. She is strong and defiant, fighting her attraction to Gideon as long as she can. The greatest distinction between Eva and Ana is that Eva also has a disturbing past.

While the residual effects of their pasts make it seem impossible for the couple to be together, they continue to fight every obstacle. Intrigued?

Bared to You gives readers the irresistible and shocking romance found in Fifty Shades of Grey, but with deeper issues and more developed characters. Fight the Fifty Shades blues with Bared to You and you won’t be disappointed!

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!